19.

Harry's POV

"Listen, I need you to keep an eye on Ava." I was confused at Niall's words although I think I knew what he meant when the look on his face gave him away, I just didn't want to believe it.

"And why the hell would I do that?" I asked. I didn't know the girl. I had to admit she was hot, and she had caught my eye, but I was not interested in babysitting her for Niall. Especially since we went at each other the first time we met. Yeah, I'm sure she was not fond of me. Actually, I'm sure she hated me.

"It's just while I go take care of some...things." Niall whispered the last part, subtly avoiding eye contact with me. I knew exactly what he meant. And I didn't like it one bit.

"Here? Right now?" I asked and he nodded. "Come on Niall what the fuck. I thought you were done with that shit." I looked at him in disbelief, a hint of anger in my voice as I felt my blood boil inside of me.

"I know what I said. I just need to finish some stuff and then I'm done. I swear." I looked at my best mate trying to figure out if what he was telling me was true. I know that he would never lie to me, so I sighed and nodded. "Fine. I'll watch her for you. But you so fucking owe me." I glared at him before stepping out of the room he had pulled me into.

I found her. After twenty minutes of searching and taking a two shots in between, I finally found her. And it was about time because I was about to forget everything Niall said and say fuck it and go do my own thing.

She was sat outside with Louis and Eleanor where they were passing around a bottle as they refilled their cups and laughing at comments shared between them.

And that's when I noticed her. Like, actually noticed her. The way her laughter could be heard from here was like music to my ears. The way she innocently brushed her hair away from her face, revealing her high cheekbones. Her smile bright under the moonlight. I was taken aback.

She was beautiful.

I sighed. I was confusing myself with these thoughts.

"I need a drink." I huffed as I walked into the living room and straight towards the cooler that was against the wall in the corner, grabbing a cold beer out of it. Eventually I walked back over towards the back, leaning against the blank wall and taking a drink out of my beer.

I need to recollect my thoughts.

When Niall asked me to keep an eye on her I only intended to watch her from a distance while I had some fun myself with some random girls. But now? Now I was curious. Now I want to know her.

Her and I got off on the wrong foot and for that reason she didn't like me. But I'm sure with my charm she'll forget all about our first interaction, it's no doubt. But then it led me to another thought.

Did she have a thing with Niall? Who the hell knows. He always brushed off the topic when I or one of the guys brought her up. He may take it the wrong way if he thinks I'm trying to get close to her... even as a friend. But then again if he fancied her he wouldn't deny it when we asked him, and he wouldn't have prioritized his business instead of her tonight.

I smirked as I saw her slightly stumbling towards me. She hasn't noticed me, she was so clueless.

.. So to my knowledge her and Niall are just friends which gives me the clear to get to know her.. as friends of course. There's no harm in that. Besides, Niall did ask me to keep an eye on her.

And that's exactly what I did when I purposely bumped into her to get her to talk to me.

*****

"You fuckin' arsehole." I wasn't surprised at Niall's sudden outburst as he pushed me, causing me to slightly lose my balance.

"Nice to fucking see you too mate." I rolled my eyes at him as I straightened myself out. He glared at me as I closed the door behind him.

"What the hell do you think you're doing going behind my back!" He spat at me.

"Look mate, in my defense I asked you today what your deal was with Ava and you brushed me off, as always!" I calmly argued.

"Don't act stupid you know how I feel about her!" He yelled as he pushed me once again. I huffed, trying to keep my calm. His anger is one thing he's never been able to control, and I know how stupid I'd be to get physical with him.

"Do you fancy her?" He angrily asked me. I knew my answer would only anger him more. I never actually intended on falling for her. Yeah I flirted with her at the party, and that's all I intended on doing because a part of me thought Niall had a thing for her. But she is just so amazing and today changed everything I felt, my feelings growing into something more than just friends for her. So no, I didn't care if Niall might have a thing for her. It's his loss for not making himself clear to us from the start.

"Well fuckin' answer me!" Niall yelled at me.

"So what if I fucking do?" I yelled back, getting in his face. "She's not yours." In an instant Niall had me up against the wall, grabbing me harshly by my shirt.

"Stay the hell away from her." Niall spat, glaring at me.

"What? Afraid she'll prefer me over you?" I smirked before pushing him off of me.

"She enjoys having me around. I know that for a fact. You two aren't even really friends, am I right? So why are you trying to fight for her?" I smirked, remembering how hard she blushed when I gave her a kiss on the cheek when I dropped her off at home today.

"End it. And back the hell off of her Harry! I mean it." Niall glared at me.

"We're friends, Ava and I." I shook my head. "And I don't intend on backing off." I calmly said, my tall figure towering over him and my heart beat increasing. I didn't like when Niall and I got into fights because he is my best mate. But he was way over the line this time acting like he had a say about my friendship with Ava.

"So what the hell are you going to do about it?" I said earning the biggest glare I've ever gotten from Niall. But I didn't regret my words. Not one bit if it meant I could eventually have a chance with her.