Chapter 9

"Our business is no concern of elves" Thorin said that night. Bilbo, (Y/n), Lord Elrond, Balin, Gandalf and Thorin were gathered together to discuss the map. Thorin was unwilling to give up the map to Elrond.

"For goodness sake, Thorin, show him the map" Gandalf demanded.

"It is the legacy of my people. It is mine to protect, as are it's secrets"

"Save me from the stubbornness of dwarves!" Gandalf exclaimed, exasperated "Your pride will be your downfall. You stand here in the presence of one of the few in Middle-Earth who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond!"

Elrond looked between those in the company. The hobbits cast their eyes down. Thorin, reluctantly, reached inside his coat and took out the map.

"Thorin, no!" Balin said, trying to stop Thorin, but the dwarf lord swatted his hand away and hesitantly gave the elf the map. Elrond opened the map, looked at it, and spoke.

"Erebor?" he asked "What is your interest in this map?"

Thorin was about to answer, probably something snappy, when Gandalf interrupted.

"It's mainly academic. As you know, this sort of artifact sometimes contains hidden text" he then looked to Elrond "You still read Ancient Dwarvish, do you not?"

Elrond moved over to where the moon was shining in the room, and held the map up to the rays, examining it carefully.

"Cirth Ithil" he then spoke.

"Ah... Moon Runes. Of course. An easy thing to miss" Gandalf stated, looking back at the dwarves and hobbits.

"Well, in this case, that is true. Moon Runes can only be read by the light of a moon of the same shape and season as the day on which they were written" Elrond said, turning back to the group.

"Can you read them?" Thorin asked.

The followed Elrond outside to a cliff with waterfalls falling in front of it. A crystal-like table was set on the edge of the cliff. As they walked, Elrond spoke.

"These runes were written on a midsummer's eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly 200 years ago" he said. They reached the crystal table, and he set the map down on it "It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you Thorin Oakenshield. The same moon shines upon us tonight"

The moon's rays peaked through the waterfalls, and (Y/n) watched in awe as the table lit up with moonlight. She looked at the map, and blue runes were appearing. She heard Elrond speak what they said.

"'Stand by the grey stone, when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole'"

"Durin's Day?" Bilbo asked.

"It is the start of the Dwarves New Year, when the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together" informed Gandalf.

"This is ill news" Thorin said, grimly "Summer is passing, Durin's Day will soon be upon us"

"We still have time" Balin said.

"Time?" (Y/n) asked.

"For what?" Bilbo continued.

"To find the entrance" Balin replied, holding up his hand in their direction "We have to be standing in exactly the right spot, at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened"

"So this is your purpose, to enter the Mountain?" Elrond asked.

"What of it" Thorin stated lowly, looking up at the elf lord.