12 July, 1981 - Responses

Lavinia woke up the next morning half convinced she'd made the events of the previous night up. Except Sirius was sprawled out on the bed behind her and there on her nightstand was the ring, tucked into its little box. Exactly where she'd left it.

The smile that spread across her face seemed to stay put for the next week or more. Everything felt like it was floating, like the war might have been put on pause just for her. Just for this joy. It hadn't of course, but that was hardly the point. Lavinia felt light and floaty and so buoyed by her happiness that nothing in the world could bring her down. In short: she was as happy as she had been in months. In years, maybe. And she savored every moment of it.

The only problem Lavinia encountered with her engagement was that she had no idea how to tell people. It seemed odd to her, to just insert such a thing into a conversation, like she was looking for congratulations when the reality was, she didn't particularly care if anyone else in the world knew, as long as it was real.

So she was more than glad that on the whole, she didn't have to bring it up. When she walked into work a few days later, Bertie took about five minutes to notice the ring on her finger and his response was one she was sure she would cherish forever.

He had paused when handing her a potions flask and stared at her hand before breaking into a wide, delighted smile. "Oh child," he'd said, shaking his head slightly and patting her hands. "I hope this is the start of a very long and happy story."

Lavinia had positively beamed at him. People had been wishing her a happily ever after, had told her they hoped this was the happy ending she deserved and she appreciated the sentiment, she really did, but it had kept striking her that this wasn't supposed to be the end of anything. And of course, Bertie of all people wouldn't view it as an ending.

A long and happy story. Yes, she thought later that day, she very much hoped it would be.

Miriam's response was equally delightful, although for very different reasons. In the employee lounge after their shifts had ended, the two girls were sitting, exchanging news when Lavinia told her, very awkwardly, that Sirius had proposed. Miriam had screamed. Not squealed or gasped but screamed, loudly enough that a healer had come running into the room to ask if everyone was okay.

"Of course I'm not okay!" Miriam had retorted , glaring at the man like he had just said something truly idiotic. "She's getting married! She's finally bloody getting married! Do you know how long I've been waiting for this!?"

The man, who, Lavinia reasoned, probably knew Miriam, if not personally, then at least by reputation, had simply rolled his eyes and left. Lavinia couldn't blame him. She herself was fighting the urge to roll her own eyes.

Miriam, however, utterly unperturbed by the man's response, simply turned back to Lavinia. "Tell me everything," she demanded, smiling brightly enough that Lavinia couldn't resist mirroring the expression.

"What's to tell?" she asked, laughing slightly. "He got down on one knee and asked the question and I said yes.

Miriam gave her an exasperated look. Evidently, Lavinia had completely missed what the other girl thought was a very obvious point.. "Where were you?" she elaborated. "How did he do it? Was it terribly romantic? Did you cry? You totally cried, didn't you?"

Lavinia frowned, feeling more than slightly called out. And how Miriam had any idea that Lavinia tended to cry when faced with anyone honestly and freely loving her was an entirely different question. But Miriam was now watching her with a wide smile and bright eyes and Lavinia couldn't bring herself to deny the poor girl some explanation.

"We were at home and it was two in the morning and I was in my pajamas. I don't think romantic is exactly the right word, but... well. I may have cried," she admitted, her voice trailing off a bit as she blushed.