Chapter 10

It all felt like nothing more than a chaotic nightmare, Naegi had dropped to his knees as he stared at the very commander who let him into this place, entrusted the both of them with a case that cost not only Naegis mental state, but his life in their hands.

No one could have just planned for a possible traitor in their midst, one could only think of just how many people did this or even planned it.

He watched as Kyoko was taking it worse, her expression hardened to a point where her glare could genuinely turn the world to ash while being lifeless and leaning against the charred hallway interior.

Many agents were scrambling to fix the mess someone had created. They had gotten rid of the fire surrounding what was left of the office and corridor while more had examined his corpse and the remains.

A jacket being placed over his body had finally made Kirigiri snap.

Naegi attempted to put a hand on her shoulder to comfort her the best he could only to have it slapped out of her way as she began speed walking to the nearest stairway, who knew if the elevators were even safe at all.
He backed away, the male knew she needed space which only made his heart hurt for the female.

No words were even spoken yet both knew that it wasn't necessary, they had a job to do and no time to mourn the dead no matter how close they were.

"Naegi!!"

The brunette snapped out of his trance-like state and watched as Togami strolled forward and placed an arm on his shoulder as Naegi whimpered in fear at the thought of another caring scolding.

"Are you okay?" He asked gently, the realization of the pills had changed Togami's attitude towards him

Naegi's hazel eyes looked up towards the blonde as Fukawa was nowhere to be seen. He then waved his hand towards the chunk of the building that was now gone due to the explosion.

"No. Not at all. I saved Kirigiri by tackling her down due to gut instinct and hearing about some members talking about a new chair our now-deceased leader had ordered. She just shoved me away. Not even grateful I saved her life. Now I'm sitting here wishing it was me who took that explosion and not the leader. She'd be better off without me and I'd be de-"

A slap was delivered to his face, followed by a tight grip on his shoulders as teal eyes pierced his inner consciousness.

"NAEGI, GET AHOLD OF YOURSELF DAMMIT!" He shouted before letting go and pushing his glasses up with his index finger followed by an exhausted sigh.

"You're wrong, you saved a life today at a cost. Things like this happen. We all know this so we all risk everything for the ability to secure a safe tomorrow for everyone and ourselves."

Naegi fiddled with his bottle of pills anxiously and swallowed hard before struggling to reply.

"You're right, we all pay a price in some ways even now. The area could be swarming with any form of enemies. This is no time for anxiety or fear." Naegi's voice was full of determination as his anxious nature vanished.

A thin smile formed on Togami's lips as he looked away and towards the hole in the building that left a strong air current. The humidity felt as if a storm was coming.

Noting this almost dark remark he could make the blonde felt his shoulders tense and closed his eyes as if he was silently wishing the flames carried his former advisor and leaders soul towards the heavens or afterlife.

"Irony at its finest. A storm feels as if it's coming." He remarked.

Naegi stood firmly, tugging at his tracking collar.