CHAPTER SIX

Eva, splashed a smile as usual to the constant stream of customers as she attended to them with new found heartiness. The eatery was her source of living so she'd better pour in her best so as not to get kicked out like her previous job.

The angry sulking side of her had disappeared. But judging from the customer's countenance, the replacement was still not far from the other. It wouldn't go away in a day, she reminded herself, the beam still on her face.

Daniel, wouldn't show up again. Even if he does, she wouldn't let his need for revenge get to her like the last time he was there. The past was gone, and now the future. If she succeeded with the decision, he'd buck off and let her be. Maybe also lace through the bitterness she had experienced. Life would still go on anyway.

"You didn't contact me as promised."

Eva, focus on a short, chubby man staring at her with a mixture of frown and smile. "I'd been extremely busy," she lied. Needing not to tell him about his card deposited in a garbage basket, just like dozen others.

"That's obvious. Are you always busy, even at night? We could hang out some other time, don't you think so?"

Dragging on an unfriendly grin, Eva casted a look to the two sides. "This is not the appropriate time to talk about that."

"Can I come pick you up after your closing hour?"

"Thank you. But, no." She quizzical her gaze. "What would you like to have today?"

He frowned fully. "I'm surfeited. I was restless. Thinking why you didn't call as expected."

"Well, as you can see, there are people waiting to be attended to," Eva, informed him as politely as she could. Gestured to his back at the waiting customers. "Might call you later."

"Might?" He muttered stepping aside, at the moment recess bumped into a man.

"Are you blind?" The man, barked.

He turned, "I collided into you from behind and you are asking if I'm blind. How was I to assume you were at my back. You are the one that's supposed to answer the question." He brushed past the man and strode off sparing not even a glance over his shoulder.

"Sorry about that, sir." Eva, said to him when his snarling mouth gaped at his crushed toes.

"He should be the one to apologize, not you." The man retorted.

Eva, shrugged. Turned to another impatient woman who thrusted herself in front of him to be attended to. At the same time, baffled by how most men tackle rejection. Couldn't pronounce common 'I am sorry' to someone he hurt out of annoyance of a failed wooing. Just like, Daniel rubbed a woman to her face in retaliation and anger of what had occured three long years ago. His could be excused giving some reasons. But judging by what she felt, she wasn't sure it made any difference.

Absently, Eva looked at the door, mindlessly retrieved the glace... Snapped it back when her mind registered the presence of, Daniel. Or was it his look alike... Her throat dried up when their eyes met. He was outside, however staring at her through the glass door. Her heart tightened in her chest. Why was he standing there and looking at her like a statue? She asked herself with no expectations of an answer.

Involuntarily her eyes glued to his, her stomach lifted, then slammed back down with a crucial churning. His eyes were deadly cold, Eva noted. The frown decorating his face was murderous. What more had she done to deserve the wordless confrontation. Maybe he was aggravated by her reaction the last time he was here, Eva decided.

Like a flash, Daniel was out of sight. She stared at the glass windows but not a shadow of him was revealed. Like he had not been there a second ago.