Chapter 189

After dinner and hugging everyone goodbye, I went back to our house in London with Fred, for some alone time on my last night there.

Although the next morning at eleven o'clock, there was a knock at our door. When we opened it up, we came upon Professor McGonagall, who had showed up on time just as promised.

I was already in my old Hogwarts robes which I had bought on eBay with Kiara when I was fourteen. Although I had to make it magically larger to be able to fit in it.

I couldn't have gone back with any new clothes, because as a magical law said, I wasn't allowed to take any object from this timeline to my own, otherwise it would disappear after some while.

"Ready to go, Miss Black?" the Professor smiled at me. I still wasn't used to being called that name after such a long while, but I nodded either way.

"Mrs. Weasley in a year," Fred corrected her with a cheeky grin as he came by the doorway, still in his nightclothes and his red hair messy.

     He'd been joking around about that for a few months now, which always managed to make me giggle.

McGonagall shook her head at him in disappointment and looked him up and down with a sigh before turning to face me again.

"The train to Hogwarts has already left," she informed us. "The station wouldn't be crowded anymore by the time we go there, which makes it the perfect state."

"Thank you, Professor. I'm ready to go," I said, still smiling.

"Wait, no!" said Fred. "It will take me an hour to get ready!"

McGonagall then took out her wand and waved it at Fred's direction. On cue, his clothes changed and his hair became neat.

      "Blimey, thanks," said Fred, grinning at her.

"Shall we?" said McGonagall after she shot a look at Fred and so we nodded and closed the house's door, Dissaparating out of there and into King's Cross station, straight into platform 9 3/4.

The Hogwarts Express was already gone and the parents had left home, leaving the platform empty except for me, Fred, and Professor McGonagall.

"Whenever you're ready, Miss Black," said McGonagall, taking out her wand.

I took a deep breath, but then nodded. "I'm ready."

With that, McGonagall swished her wand with ease, casting a Confundus charm around me so the Muggles wouldn't notice that I looked any older, even though I was twenty-six years old now.

After bidding the Headmistress of Hogwarts goodbye, she Dissaparated, leaving Fred and I alone in platform 9 3/4.

      As I looked around the place, I had a sinking feeling. I had never seen it so empty and quiet before. It felt like even the Wizarding World was bidding me goodbye.

     "Okay, I should probably give you these," I finally said and broke the silence.

      With that, I took out my wand out of my robe and gave it to Fred. And then I raised my hand and took off the necklace Sirius had given me, handing it to him.

       "I'm not supposed to take anything with me from my own timeline," I said, "because it will disappear at some point if I do."

      Fred nodded at me with a reassuring smile. "I'll take good care of them for you."

     "Oh, and there's also something else," I said and so I dug into my robes' pocket, taking out a small familiar-looking box.

     Fred's eyes widened at the sight. "Is that —?"

     "The sweets you had given me for my fifteenth birthday, yes." I nodded with a smile. "They have Patented Daydream Charm; meaning that if I took them, I would have realistic daydreams for half an hour. I know you had given me these in case I missed you, but... I guess you might need it more than I do."

Fred forced a little chuckled but then gulped, taking the box from me with a hurt expression on his face which I had never seen before.

"Well..." He sighed. "I guess this is goodbye."

"Yeah..." I whispered as we stood there awkwardly, facing each other.

"Lexi, can I ask you a favor?" he said after a long pause and I looked up at him curiously. "I know you miss your parents and all... but... do you think you can come visit me next year, the following day? As in... September second, 2007?"

"Fred —"

"I know I'm asking for too much, and I understand if you want to at least spend a full week with your parents alone, after all these years, but —"

"Fred, It's okay. I will," I cut him off with a smile, walking closer to hold his hands in mine. "I'll wake up earlier than them, and I'll give you a visit. Just wait up for me at the Joke Shop. I'll be there."

Fred's grin widened at those words. "Really?"

I nodded. "Really."

After a few seconds of eerie silence, I then suddenly wrapped my arms around his neck, bringing him down into a long kiss as he held me close to him, his arms around my waist.

When we pulled away, we both had goofy smiles playing on our lips, looking up at each other wordlessly.

"I'll see you in a day," I said, taking a step back from him, our eyes still connected.

"See you in a year," he said, grinning.

With that, I took a deep breath and turned to face the wall that would take me back to the Muggle side of King's Cross station if I passed it.

      Deep down, I was afraid to go back to my own timeline, not knowing what expected me on the other side, scared of what life had planned for me.

      I wanted to turn back to look at Fred one last time before passing the barrier, but I knew it would've made it even harder for me.

      I knew there was no escaping time. You can't stop the flow of destiny. You can't be chained up to the past forever. Life only moves onward and the clock always goes on, even if you hold your breath.

So with that thought, I let out the breath I was holding, closed my eyes, and I started running forward.

     Suddenly, as soon as I reached the barrier, I felt the world go dizzy around me, as if it was turning. And then before I knew it, I suddenly stumbled and fell down to the floor.

"Oh my God, Lexi! Are you okay!?" I heard someone say. It was a voice I hadn't heard in twelve years.