°Popcorn°

'Babe, where are you going?' The deep voice chirped. Kaycee slung her hand bag over her shouldee, applying some extra lip gloss before answering the boy.

'Just for some groceries. I'll be back in half an hour' she shouted. Kaycee rechecked her bag, making sure she had everything with her. 

'Could you buy me some popcorn?' The said boy had walked down the stairs, now standing behind Kaycee as he wrapped his arms around her waist. The mention of popcorn made Kaycee's stomach churn but she plastered on a fake smile.

'Of course. Any specific flavor?'

The boy removed his arms from her waist, turning her around and connecting their foreheads together. A smile flashed across his face, one side tugging upwards. It created slight dimples and creases that moved his freckles. Even though it was gone quickly, it was still there. He dipped his head down; never someone to be loud or extroverted. That was something Kaycee appreciated in so many ways-he just got on with it and never needed anyone else's validation. 

He hummed quietly, his dark hair brushing against Kaycee's forehead causing her to giggle lightly.

'Toffee popcorn would be nice' he murmured, tilting her chin up and pressing a kiss onto her lips. She had raised up slightly on her toes, ready for the contact of his lips on hers.

'I'm gonna go, Jason. I'll see you in a bit' she hummed, pulling away for the kiss and giving one of his hands a squeeze.

'Don't forget the popcorn' he chuckled, closing the door as she left. 

Kaycee laughed quietly to herself, resting her bag and wallet onto the opposite car seat as she exited her driveway. She used one hand to turn on the radio, bopping her head to the music as the memories all flooded in.

You walked into the room and now my hearts been stolen.

She pressed the brake on her car abruptly, her body jolting forward as she recomposed herself. 'It's just a song, Kaycee' she reminded herself, turning the volume down ever so slightly.

You took me back in time to when I was unbroken.

'Now you're all I want and I knew it from the very first moment' she sang, remembering how her best friend would sing it before she dozed off to sleep. 'Cause the light came on, and I heard that song and I want you to sing it again'.

Tears had brimmed her eyes as she wiped them profusely with the back of her sweater. She reminded herself that she was wearing mascara and that'd it be horrifying for customers to have to see her with the makeup running done her face as she tried to stop the trail of tears.

Immediately, she changed the radio channel, smiling to herself when a country song came on. 

'Ah, country doesn't remind me of you' she said aloud, smirking as if she just won an inner battle. 'But you always called me your country singer' she thought and once more the tears clouded her vision. 'Gosh, you're a mess Kaycee' she giggled. She backed up in one of the parking spots, deciding that she'd walk the rest of the way to occupy her mind.

She hopped out of her car, closing the door as she plugged her earphones into her small ears. Pressing on a playlist of songs, she started walking to the shop, swaying her hips lightly to the rhythm of the music.

'Good morning' a man greeted as she entered the supermarket.

'Good morning. How are you?' Kaycee replied, her hand on the shopping basket.

'Good. And you?' The old man asked, already walking away. Turning the volume down almost all the way, she decided she'd get the popcorn before she forgot. Walking in and out of aisles, she clicked her heels as manouevered her way to the popcorn section.