Chapter 52 |Back to reality and it's surprises|

She stood there in silence, trying to digest every emotion with a lump in her throat. Though only minutes had passed, it felt like hours to her. Of course her brain had only showed her her own perspective, remaining unknown to Arnav's, making her all the more vulnerable.

Even after everything he had done, she risked her life and saved him, knowing the hatred he still held for her but she sure was astonished when she didn't see any after rescuing him.

The way he fought the goons for her, the way they came close that certain night in the abandoned hut made her realize that he had given in and trusted her, trusted the truth. Though that happened, it still didn't hold him back before declaring her as the biggest mistake of his life.

But she had moved on from her unfortunate past. And she wasn't going to sit and mourn over it and become the bitter person she definitely wasn't.

Everyone had a past. Someone's wasn't as grave as the other, someone's wasn't as harrowing, someone's was harmonious. But for Khushi, it was a lesson. She sometimes was weirdly appreciative for what happened a few years ago in her life for it had made her the person she was today.

She did miss Arnav but she had later came to know, how you don't miss the person, you miss the memories you made with that person. That was the case with her, she missed the memories she'd made with him, the times when he'd been generously loving. Couldn't he just remain an asshole? She had often wished this but at the same time, she wouldn't have had it any other way.

She shook her head trying to get rid of the thoughts running wild in her mind. Glancing outside the window she saw how Arnav and his nephew weren't in sight. Sighing soundly, she decided to get some office work done from home.

~~**~~

She sat, munching on some sweet bell peppers, while typing away on her laptop when suddenly her house bell rang.

Walking her way over, she was surprised to find her sister on the door. Greeting her warmly, she welcomed her inside.

"So suddenly?" Khushi asked.

"I hadn't seen you from so many days. I was missing you Khushi."

"Me too jiji."

"Then why didn't you come to see me?"

Khushi sighed loudly. "I can't keep coming to your house regularly. It's not like it's you only who lives there. Because if you did, I would've moved in with you."

"I wish Khushi, I wish." Payal giggled.

Khushi took her sister over to the kitchen and both prepared drinks and confections to enjoy. Soon they were on the couch, eating away, talking with Khushi simultaneously working on her laptop.

"How's everyone?" She asked.

"They're fine. Everyone's got a busy schedule."

"Finally!" Khushi voiced loudly.

"Nani was askin-"

"Not again jiji! Stop telling me what she's always asking. I'm sick of it and I can't keep coming over to visit her."

"Khushi I wasn't going to force you." Payal said in a voice almost inaudible, her eyes sad.

"It wasn't like you didn't do that the last time." Khushi rolled her eyes and saw how her sister's eyes spat fire at her. "What's up your ass these days jiji? Your mood swings seem to change more fast than my seasonal clothing collection."

"You're being such a bitch. You know what? Why did I even care coming here while I feel sick? Should've stayed home."

"Jiji!" Khushi was quick enough to stand and catch a hold on her aggravated sister. "What happened to my jiji?" She caressed her cheek when Payal forcefully pulled away. "Ok fine, I'm sorry! What's up with you jiji?"

"I'm just... I don't know but I just feel so tired these days and so nauseous. Could it be food poisoning?"

The mood swings, the nausea, Khushi quickly joined the dots. She ran and got something to prove her assumptions right.

"A pregnancy test?" Payal almost squealed.

"Yeah, now go pee in this and take the test." She shoved a plastic cup in her hands. Payal looked at her sister in the eyes, nervous, before walking away.

It had almost been four and a half years of her marriage so how great would it be if her sister got pregnant. Khushi silently prayed to her Gods for a good outcome.

"Khushi!" Her sister called out. They both waited impatiently for the results. As soon as another red line appeared on the pregnancy test, Khushi started to scream and jump with joy while Payal remained numb.

"Jijeeeeee you're pregnant!!" Khushi hugged her. "Wow! You're gonna push a baby out of your kitty soon." She scrunched her face as if in pain.

"Khushi oh my God! This is like..." Payal was speechless. Tears of happiness leaked down her face. "I've waited for this from so long." Khushi quickly enveloped her in a tight hug again.

"I'm so happy for you jiji. I'm gonna have a cute nephew or niece soon." She squealed but payed attention to Payal's last sentence. "Why? Did you have complications getting pregnant earlier?"

Payal seemed to become hesitant. "No it's nothing like that...."

"Why jiji? What was the problem then?"

"So many problems Khushi, so many complications were there and bringing my child into this world earlier would've complicated everything further. There was babuji to take care of, his treatments, my restaurant, then resetting his sweet shop again, the atmosphere in the Raizada house still remained so toxic and uncomfortable. There was so much going on for me to produce a child and rest on bed for several months."

An emotional wave hit Khushi. Her sister had sacrificed years for this moment! She threw her arms around Payal and hugged her with such a force, she almost stumbled back. "I love you jiji and I'm so happy for you."

They sat there for hours, discussing everything about Payal's work and how it would later be taken care of when she goes on maternity leave, about the baby, his cute clothes and so much more. Khushi advised her sister to consult her doctor to be sure of the results.

"How would Akash react?" Payal asked abruptly.

"What do you mean 'how would he react'? He has to be happy of course. He's gonna be a freaking father soon."

"Should I tell him today itself or wait till I go to the doctor and reconfirm it?" Payal asked.

"You can tell him today if you want to. Whatever you want, it depends on you. But this pregnancy test is actually very accurate. But again, whatever fits your preference."

"Why do you even have one of these?" Payal laughed looking at the pregnancy test.

"Why not? It's important to keep one to yourself just in case." Khushi chuckled.

"Wait so did you ever feel that you could've been pregnant?"

Khushi rolled her eyes. "You're crazy! My friend came over once and she thought she was pregnant. We decided to check. It turned out negative. I'm definitely not getting pregnant when I'm only 21, I'm a child myself, how will I take care of another one?"

A sudden ringing pulled them out of their conversation. It was Akash. Payal decided to head back home as she'd spent quite some long hours with her sister. Giving a last hug to each other, Payal left.

And the smile of elation on Khushi's lips didn't vanish.

***********************************************
Payal's pregnant!!! Who saw that coming lol? Finally in the present again! The updates weren't be as long as before now.
Anyway, do vote and comment. <3
Btw the recent and absolutely beautiful cover is made by lex3porter