Years Apart

♡ ♡ ♡

4 years later

It was four years since the divorce. Four years since Elise had seen Damien. Four years since Damien had married Isabella. Four years since Elise moved out of New York. Four years since she had been in Vancouver. It has been two years since she stopped giving a fuck about Damien.

Yes, the first two years after divorce did leave her anguished and devastated. While Damien's family rejoiced their separation, Elise'e parents welcomed her back with open arms. None of the families approved of their marriage but over the years Elise had managed to 'fit in' in the Kingston family. Elena, Damien's mother and Samuel Kingston, his father had grown quite a fondness for their daughter in law, Elise, with the passing years. It was hard not to fall for her compelling charm. So, when they happily turned their backs to her, Elise was apalled to say the least. But she was quick to learn that it was always about money, afterall. Elise was blessed with an ample fortune which she inherited from her father but as they parted from each other, she was determined to seek no help from them. Moreover why would some of the most renowned businessmen in the world want to marry off their only son to the simple daughter of a barrister? Isabella on the other hand was an heiress to an eminent chain of hotel in the world. Classy, elegant, wealthy and drop dead gorgeous, she had it all. She had everything that Elise didn't, most importantly she had the only man Elise cherished with all her life. Not anymore, though. Slowly as the realization of his betrayal dawned upon her, the mist of her naivety was lifted up. Now, when the image of his dark orbs flashed before her, no more did she see affection and warmth in them. Deception was what she saw in those eyes.

Elise could still recall how pearly beads of tears rolled down her cheeks when her mother was so desperate to have her daughter back, to hold her close to her chest and take her pain away. She had not once mocked her for choosing Damien over them. "You were young and impulsive darling, it wasn't your fault munchkin, come back to me, to us, I promise dad is not angry." Just hours later she had received a call from her dad, the same assurance and desperation in his voice. Elise couldn't help but berate her for leaving such pure souls fot a man who so very easily shattered her trust, her love and her happily ever after.

But she did not want help anymore, not this time. She was her own person and she didn't ask Damien for five million dollars to live in a lavish condo with gourmet meals and the same exorbitant satins, silk and laces she owned previously as Mrs Elise Kingston. She was past that. Damien had manipulated her into being "the perfect little housewife". But not anymore. She had borrowed the money from him to invest into some business. Not just any business, she wanted to achieve her long forgotten dream of fashion designing. And she could very proudly say that she wasn't a bit bothered by the fact that she had borrowed such a hefty amount from her ex husband, his inheritance was enough for him to buy mansions in each state across the country and with the finances from the Company, he was easily one of the richest person she had ever come across. But that wasn't it, she vowed to herself that once she was sufficient, she would return the money to Damien, every single penny would be back in his account. For him and his beloved Isabella.