Road to Nowhere

She had been driving for hours and the product of that was a pair of numb hands and an aching back. The tears had  long dried on her face, but the dull pounding of pain had not yet worn itself out, abruptly rekindling whenever her mind fell back on the pack she had just left and their alpha.

She was heading east as he had suggested, but, hell, did she really have anywhere else to go? She had been over and over their conversation, picking it apart though it only made everything sting again.

Seren took the exit, the first one she had seen in a long time and pulled into a gas station, popping the gas door open as she turned the car off. Her legs didn't feel like her own as she stumbled in. She handed the clerk one of the hundreds and waited for him to give her the change, noticing that there was someone else in the building, too.

Glancing over her shoulder, she noticed a tall man standing over by the coolers, getting a drink, though he was watching her with suspicious interest. She caught a whiff of him and noticed he was a wolf. She wasn't out of Liam's territory just yet, so this contact was dangerous. Liam wouldn't have put a price on her head yet, would he?

Swallowing, she hurried outside and put the gas in her car as he climbed into his truck, not taking his eyes off of her. When she drove away, he followed behind her for about half an hour before turning off and she sighed in relief.

Another few hours and it was light out, the cold air blowing in the window helped keep her mind clear. She had to look ahead now, move forward. There was no going back. Maybe she would defy Liam in a week or so and call her dad, just because she needed to hear his voice. After all, the alpha didn't have any power over her now.

She pulled over to a rest stop and slept til the late afternoon for a break, then picked back up.

For the first time since she had begun driving, she turned on the radio.

"Baby, I'm preying on you tonight. Hunt you down, eat you alive. Just like animals...animals...."

"What the f***?" Seren hissed at the radio. "What is this s***?"

"You think that you can hide, I can smell your scent for miles..."

She punched the button to change the station angrilly only to find "I'll Never Let You Go" by Third Eye Blind. Seren growled. "Oh, yeah. I forgot that every song on the radio is about love."

She sat in silence for several more hours until her butt simply was too numb to keep driving and she was struggling to keep her eyes open. The next exit revealed a dingy little two story motel. Stiffly, she shuffled inside and approached the front desk, suddenly realizing that this would be the first night not sleeping in His bed, not smelling Him.

"Hello, earth to lady!" 

Seren blinked, taking in the grungy man in front of her. "Oh...I'm sorry...I just...spaced out. I've been driving a long time, you know?"

He stared at her blankly. Clearly, he had been working a long time. 

"A single, please, cheapest you've got," she muttered, forking over what he asked for. 

He handed her the keys and she hurried out to the car to get her bag and then opened the door to her room, all 12 x 14 feet of it. It obviously hadn't been updated since the 70's and smelled like that was the last time it had been cleaned thoroughly as well. 

Seren couldn't complain. She had to make the money last and as long as it had a working shower, it would do. Stripping off her clothes, she stepped under the squeaking showerhead, scrubbing away the nastiness of sitting in a car all day with the soaps that were in there, as basic as they were. She suddenly wondered if the man had been a wolf and chastized herself for slipping out of her old habits. They had kept her safe and hidden for so long. She was so far away from Wind Runner land now, there probably weren't any wolves out here, she reasoned.