Chapter 14: Nightmares

Just a little warning before you read: this chapter does talk about self-harm.

I open my eyes, feeling blood drip down from my head and onto the roof of the car. My vision is blurry and there's a ringing in my ears. There's broken glass everywhere. I feel a body on top of mine and I slowly look down as my vision focuses.

It's Cole.

I push him gently off of me and into his seat and shake my head.

"No, no, no. Why? Why did you do that?" I croak out as I see he's in worse condition than I am.

His eyes flutter open for a few seconds. "(Y-Y/n)." Cole's voice is barely audible and I see his hand twitch.

Tears come to my eyes. "You're gonna be okay," I tell him and hold his hand.

He coughs, spitting up blood in the process. "It hurts." He says.

"It's gonna be okay," I say.

Cole smiles weakly before closing his eyes.

"Cole. Cole!" I scream.

I look at Dad in the driver's seat to see him completely passed out. I tug at my seatbelt but it doesn't budge. I try to squirm out of it but feel a sharp pain in my side that makes me cry out.

People start to crowd around the turned over car and I just look back at Cole.

"It's all your fault." A voice says and I look around to see where the source of the voice came from.

"You killed him." Another voice taunts.

I shake my head and cover my ears. "No! No! I didn't!" I yell.

"You're worthless."

"Helpless."

"You killed your brother."

"How could you do that to Cole?"

"I thought you loved him."

"It should've been you."

I continue to shake my head as my whole body trembles.

"No! Leave me alone!" I yell.

The voices keep taunting me as I sob quietly.

"SHUT UP!"

I shoot awake, sweat dripping from my forehead and tears staining my face as more start to build up. I look around to see I'm back in my room. It's night out. I look to my side but Sumo isn't there to comfort me.

'It's my fault. It's always been my fault.'

I remove the blankets from me and walk out of the room quietly, making sure I don't wake anyone up. I walk into the bathroom and close the door.

'I'm so sorry, Cole.'

I open the drawers and find a razor.

'It should've been me.'

I start to cut myself. I do this from time to time as punishment for still being alive. For not being there to protect Cole. They're never deep cuts, just really light ones. Dad doesn't know and I like to keep it that way.

Tears slide down my face and not because of the cuts but because I wasn't there to protect my little brother. I just feel numb as I stand in the middle of the bathroom, cutting at my wrists.