Little Nightmares ♔ hurt/comfort

♔ hurt/comfort ♔
TW: nightmares, mentions of death, mentions of blood

It began with a small twitch. Jaren didn’t pay much mind to it. After all, a lot of people move in their sleep. A barely audible sigh escaped John’s lips as his body twitched once more. The rustling of the sheets as his movements became more intense is what caught Jaren’s attention. His sleeping companion was whimpering and letting out soft cries of distress as his body flinched lightly. Jaren stood up and set his book on the table beside him. As he approached him, he began thrashing violently before jolting upright and letting out a panicked cry. Jaren rushed over to his side.

“Hey! Hey, buddy. You’re okay, it’s okay. I’m here,” He spoke in a hushed tone, attempting to ease his friends panic. John’s face held confusion as his eyes darted about the room, unable to process things just yet due to his abrupt awakening. He was panting as he tried to take in his surroundings. His distressed state doing him no favours in thinking clearly. Soon enough, his breathing began to slow as he processed where he was, relief setting in so deeply that he could feel it in his bones. He sighed deeply before closing his eyes and rubbing his hands over his face.

“Another nightmare?” Jaren asked softly and John nodded.

“Yeah…” He breathed out, dragging his hands off of his face and looking up to meet Jaren’s worried gaze. “I’m, uh, sorry about that,” He tried to chuckle and brush off his distress, but Jaren didn’t budge. He didn’t ease up or cast it aside like John was trying to do. He knew how much these dreams were effecting him. He could see it. He could see the weight they left on his shoulders.

“Don’t apologize about this, there’s no need to…” His voice came out in a soft whisper. John looked up to meet his eyes. Jaren’s warm, chocolate brown eyes never held pity when he looked at him, it was always concern. He never made him feel pathetic or small about his distress.

“Thank you,” He whispered, eyes dropping to the floor.

“For what?” Jaren looked confused.

“I don’t know,” He shrugged, “For caring? For not treating me like I’m stupid?”

“John-”

“I know, I know. I don’t have to thank you, but still. I really appreciate you staying with me.” 

“Of course,” Jaren smiled, “Anytime.” Jaren had been staying with John for the past few nights, providing the older with a form of comfort to counteract the amount of distress these nightmares had been putting him through. “Do you want to talk about it?” He offered that same offer he had given every other night. The same offer John refused each time, but today John just shrugged.

“I don’t know…” He sighed and scooted closer to Jaren, laying his head on the smaller boy’s lap. “It’s kinda dark…”

“That’s okay,” Jaren comforted, “If talking about it helps you feel better, then I want to help.” John nodded lightly before shifting again, cuddling closer to Jaren’s shorter frame. Jaren hugged him back, laying beside him to make their weird attempt at cuddling a bit easier. Their heads laid at the foot of the bed, angled a bit so Jaren’s legs were hanging slightly off the side. John avoided eye contact at all costs.

“Well…” He breathed in deeply, “I keep having this dream, a-and it’s been going on for like a month now and I don’t know how to make it stop,” His voice began to waver and break. “I just- I keep seeing you get hurt, I-I keep seeing you die and- and I just- I can’t do anything about it.” He was sobbing at this point. “I keep t-trying to- to save you and I- I just… can’t. A-and it hurts so bad. I keep seeing your f-face all bloody and- and I- I just-” The tears spilled from his eyes at a rapid pace as Jaren pulled him closer. John’s head was buried in his chest as he wept and sobbed. He squeezed so tightly, afraid if he let go, Jaren would just disappear. The comforting touch of Jaren running his finger through his hair helped ease him a small bit though. “I just don’t want to lose you.”

“Oh, baby,” Jaren whispered, “You’re not going to lose me. I promise you. I’m here, baby. I’ve got you, and I’m not going anywhere.” He pulled his distressed lover close and placed a soft kiss on the top of his head. John lifted his head from Jaren’s chest, looking up at him and leaning in for a kiss. Jaren cradled his face in one of his hands, gently wiping away his tears as they kissed softly. They both lingered in the kiss as they parted. John’s eyes opened slowly to meet Jaren’s.

“I love you,” he sighed with a smile of adoration displayed on his lips.

“I love you, too,” Jaren responded, his expression mirroring that of his partners. John sniffled a bit and sat up, Jaren soon followed suit. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah,” He said, “I’m okay.” His gaze shifted from the floor over to Jaren. “It is way too late to be awake though,” He chuckled and Jaren laughed, too.

“You’re right, you sould get some sleep,” He stated and John stretched his arms up, yawning. He shifted his placement to lay down on the bed properly and opened his arms.

“Only if you’ll come cuddle with me,” He said with a smile. “It makes me feel safe…” He whispered just loud enough for Jaren to hear. He smiled fondly at the taller and crawled into his arms and under the covers. They cuddled into one another, arms and legs intertwined as they both felt a wave of ease wash over them.

“I love you, dearly, John. You know that, right?” Jaren asked, remaining cuddled close to his lover.

“I do. I know it very well, and I love you the same,” John smiled and Jaren giggled a bit.

“You sound like someone from a shakespearian poem or something.” John laughed.

“It’s true though! I do love you!” He spoke, pulling away just enough to look at his lover.

“I know you do,” Jaren beamed and pressed a kiss to John’s lips before cuddling back into his chest. John rested his chin on his lover’s head and let out a sigh as his body finally began to feel peace. The pair drifted to sleep in each others arms, hearts and minds entwined with the bond of their love.