Green

Dream was selfish. Selfish for falling in love with someone who didn't reciprocate the same feelings. He kept checking his eyes, yet they didn't change from the dull blue. He was sad.

He didn't even know why he was sad. He decided to take a walk to clear his head. He felt overwhelmed. He just wanted him to like him back. Was it too much to ask for?

'Yes,' a voice in his head piped up, making Dream frown, 'I mean, you're being selfish for trying to get someone to like you.'

'Yeah, well, what if he does like me? He does lead me on sometimes,' Dream argued with himself silently. He did have a point. What if he was reading all the signs wrong, though? It was dark outside and it started to rain lightly. Dream didn't seem to care - he continued walking through the street with his hoodie covering his head and his hands in his pockets.

'He likes you as a friend, dummy,' the voice in his head replied, making Dream feel uneasy, 'Just accept it and then you guys can be cool again.'

Dream didn't respond. He was certainly overwhelmed and not keen on returning back to his house, especially not keen to see George or Sapnap. Instead, he decided to phone one of his good friends, who just so happened to be staying in Florida.

It started raining more. He ran in the rain, his phone close to his ear. As he ran, so did George. George had seemed to lose him. He was now blindly walking in the rain, yelling out his best friend's name. Sapnap noticed the horrible burning smell in the kitchen and immediately ran to turn off the oven.

The muffins were black. Sapnap sighed as he took out the muffins and went to go find George and Dream. He was met with a soaking wet brunette, who returned back into the house with a sad expression on his face.

"What's up? Where's Dream?" Sapnap asked, placing his hands on his hips. George didn't reply. He pushed past him and walked into the bathroom to dry himself. Sapnap didn't bother following him. "AND WHY THE HELL DID YOU LEAVE THE OVEN UNSUPERVISED!?"

George returned shortly after, a towel wrapped around his head. He walked over to Sapnap and pointed to his eyes. Sapnap's face fell. "Dream's eyes. They changed colour and.. Dream ran," George muttered quietly, rubbing his hair with the towel in attempts to dry it. 

"Of course.. you were bound to find out eventually," said Sapnap in a hollow tone, grabbing his phone and dialing Dream's number. No response. Sapnap huffed, "What colour did it turn? It was pink, wasn't it-"

"It was a blue," George interjected and Sapnap paused. "Blue?"

"Yeah, I kind of freaked out and-"

"Why on earth was Dream sad? What did you do to my best friend!?" Sapnap snapped a bit too aggressively, immediately realising his mistake and dropping his voice, "I'm sorry.. I mean.. what happened?"

"Wait.. blue means sad? Can his eyes change colour based on his mood?" George asked, a hint of astonishment in his voice. Sapnap nodded hastily and beckoned him to start spilling the beans on what happend. "Oh, right, we were baking muffins and well.. we started talking about how fun it was and he muttered something under his breath.

"And well, I asked what he said and he said nothing important, then his eyes changed colour and I pointed it out. I was confused and startled and Dream seemed to be too. Before I could do anything, he left immediately," George finished somewhat lamely, shifting his weight from one leg to the other. Sapnap raised his eyebrows, "And I lost him in the rain and I.. I don't know where he is."

There was a dull silence. Sapnap looked back at his phone and attempted to call him a second time. It wasn't surprising when he didn't pick up. George was so scared. "Look, he'll come back, don't worry about him. He's just overreacting and being a drama queen. Ha, remember that one time he went dark because you talked to Maia?"

"Oh - yeah, haha, he does tend to overreact sometimes," George replied, feeling a bit happier. But then- what if he left because of something George did. What if George made him feel bad? He turned to Sapnap. "You.. you don't suppose he got upset because of me?"

Sapnap thought for a while. "He definitely didn't get upset over you finding out - you were going to eventually, it was inevitable. However, maybe it was the conversation," Sapnap mused out loud, giving George a look. George shook his head. Sapnap sighed, "right, well, he did this to himself - the idiot."

George scowled and sat down in a chair, taking one of the less burnt muffins and taking a bite. Sapnap watched him, rather amused. "Why would you torture yourself like this?" Sapnap asked lightly, sitting down next to him and watching him intently. George swallowed reluctantly.

"It's all my fault, isn't it?" George asked dully, taking another forced bite. Sapnap looked out of the window. It was pouring now. He looked back and smiled, "Not at all."

"Bullshit," George swore under his breath, making Sapnap laugh, "Don't you bullshit me, Nicholas."

"Okay, okay, language. Geez," Sapnap chuckled, standing up and snatching the muffin out of his hand, "Come on, I can't just watch you slowly poison yourself. I can take your mind off of this whole fiasco, you'll see."

George snorted, clearly still feeling down. "And how's that?" he asked suspiciously as Sapnap dragged him into the bathroom. The younger boy pointed to an ominous bag on the countertop. George watched it warily.

"Dream's sister was here yesterday and she left it here. And look what it contains!" Sapnap commented excitedly. He opened the bag and took out a few bottles of nail polish. George stared at him as if he were joking. 

Sapnap was dead serious.

Half an hour later and the two of them were sitting on Sapnap's bed, painting each other's nails and talking about random videos they saw in their recommended section. And Sapnap was right.

George's mind was for once, not thinking about Dream. He had nearly forgotten that his best friend was missing.