(2) Welcome To New York! ☆

- Reader's POV -
Monday

It was early afternoon when Miles finally finished packing everything. He sat on his bed and stared at his now bare room with a frown as he fiddled with his hoodie's sleeves. He was nervous.

He found it unfair, how could anyone believe him when he could barely say anything. He hated himself. Why couldn't I just have said what happened?

Miles gripped his hair, he was almost eighteen years old, and he found it infuriating that he couldn't even speak a proper sentence. It made him wonder about different possibilities. Perhaps if he managed to speak out, then he could have avoided the hell he got thrown in. The boy sighed, letting go of his hair, instead of pulling his sleeves past his fingers.

"Come on Miles, we don't have all day!"
His father's voice brought him back to the harsh reality that he'd been desperately trying to escape.

He pulled himself off his bed and picked up the last 2 boxes in the room. His feet carried him downstairs, but he almost wished he stayed in his room. His mother's gaze was harsh and cold, still disappointed at her son. It killed Miles that no one believed him - no one believed the truth - no matter what he said.

"Focus on your studies this time, Miles,"
his mother said sharply, making him visibly flinch. He nodded, lowering his head. Miles walked to the car, popping the trunk and putting the boxes inside. He pulled his hood over his head and opened the car's door, sliding into the passenger's seat. It was cloudy and cold. Fuck this.

"Are you ready?"
Kobe asked his son, looking at the dark circles under his eyes and his overly pale face. The father slid into his seat and clicked on the seatbelt.

"I guess."
It became awkward quickly, and what made it worse was the fact that the road trip would take them at least 40 hours. In New York City, Miles was so bugged by it. None of this would be happening if I had just opened my mouth and spoke as normal people do.

At least Nia would be there. Miles tried to look at the bright side, but he hated the idea of moving to a place where he knew no one. He was anxious about starting a new school. He was afraid that he'll get bullied for being awkward and quiet. His hands started shaking. Nia said that she would help him communicate. It only scared him even more, what if her friends thought that he was a freak? Or what if he was too awkward to the point where they thought he was annoying?

The tired boy sighed, pulling out his headphones plugging them into his phone, choosing his favorite playlist. He rested his head on the window and, with the humming of the car and the music filling his ears, his eyelids became heavier, giving up the fight to stay awake and keeping his torturing thoughts at bay.

While Miles was asleep, his father glanced at him. He couldn't believe his son would do such a thing. He didn't want to believe it. Miles didn't even argue. He didn't try to defend himself. It was like he knew there was no point in arguing, but why wouldn't he say anything? Kobe's mind then drifted to his niece, Nia. He thought about how fucked up his family was. A son getting expelled, and a brother who threw his daughter out. Even though Kobe and Kyle, his brother, were twins, they were nothing alike. Not in physical appearance or personality. Kobe knew Kyle was a coward, but he wasn't expecting him to get rid of his only daughter just because she was attracted to the same gender.

When Kobe called Nia to tell her about them moving to New York, she told him about everything that happened. He remembered how his blood boiled, and without hesitation, he insisted that she come live with him instead of living with strangers. Sure they were her friends, but still, Nia knew there was no way out of it, so she finally agreed on moving in with her uncle and cousin.

His wife, Amber, was staying back in Mexico with her parents "for her job", yeah, right. He knew that it was disappointing for her that their son got expelled, but the least his wife could do was stick by his side. His eyes became itchy and watered a little. Probably dust.
He looked to his right, noticing his son was still sound asleep, but another thing that caught his eye was a bright white piece of paper. It was an early acceptance letter to NYU.

This was the reason they decided to move here. Yes, of course, they moved here because of his son's expulsion, but they moved specifically to this city for Miles' education. It was a miracle his scholarship hadn't been revoked. Kobe knew he had a smart boy. A genius, perhaps, or maybe that's just him thinking like his parent. Surely his straight A+s every year meant something. He hoped that this new school wasn't going to be as harsh as his last. As soon as word got around of his academic achievements, he got titled as the nerd, it was immature. The once sweet and cute kid became a closed-off, shy young man. He still doesn't know what happened too much in school, but he knew he'd lost all of his confidence.
---
A road bump woke Miles up from his second nap, making him silently groan. He rubbed his eyes and they soon widened in shock when he saw the 'Welcome to New York!' sign. It felt like he slept for an hour, turns out he has been sleeping for the past 10 hours. He rarely got any sleep anymore. Not after getting expelled, but the constant groan of the car was comforting.

"Morning, Son."
Kobe said earning a nod from Miles.

"Did you sleep well?"
Miles nodded again. Kobe knew his son isn't a small talk kind of person, so he just focused on the road, listening to the GPS directions that led them to The Becketts' house.

"Dad?"
His voice was barely louder than a whisper. Kobe hummed in response. Miles looked away, becoming red with embarrassment,

"Can you not tell Nia about the reason I was expelled?"
Kobe thought for a second.

"...Okay."
Kobe wasn't planning on telling anyone about the reason Miles was expelled anyway, but hopefully, it would bring comfort to his son, thinking it was his decision. Miles gave his dad a small smile before turning his gaze back to the window.