12| Revenge

Chapter 12: Revenge (Carter's POV)

Throughout that class, I watched as the entire time she would look up nervously and every single time, he'd be staring at her. I was confused. Very confused. I had no idea that he was her ex-boyfriend, I also had no idea why he was stupid enough to come back here after what had happened the last time. 

Something clearly happened between them, otherwise, they wouldn't have broken up. 

I wasn't going to ask her. It wasn't my business and I wasn't going to be nosy. If she wanted to tell me, she could. The bell rang and she began packing her things rapidly. Clearly, she wanted to leave first so she could avoid him. 

"Alex." I grabbed her wrist, causing her to halt. "It's okay, I'll walk with you. Just don't panic," I said, keeping my voice low. She nodded slowly before packing up her things while I did the same and then we left. "You okay?" I asked. I didn't even have the next class with her, but here I am. 

"I'm fine," she lied, "I just don't understand why he's back, you know? And what was that? Why would he pick me as a partner? I just don't get it," she huffed while linking her arm with mine, probably out of habit since most of the times that we've hung out, we've been walking with linked arms. 

"I can find out," I shrugged. 

"Please don't, I don't want any trouble. I'll handle it if he says anything, I think," she mumbled the last bit to herself but I heard it loud and clear. 

"Just let me know if I can help. That's what friends do," I smirked. 

"Of course," she chuckled. "Wait." She abruptly stopped walking. "You don't have this class with me," she pointed out. 

"No, I have a free period," I lied. 

Her eyebrows furrowed while she thought about it. "Don't you have gym class? I'm pretty sure you have lacrosse right now," she said. 

"Nope," I lied again and continued walking with her. 

"Yes, you do. You have lacrosse when I have creative writing." 

"Why do you know that?" I smirked. 

She stayed quiet before answering, "I don't know. But you have lacrosse. Shouldn't you be at the boys' locker room right now?" She narrowed her eyes at me. 

"I'll walk you and then I'll sprint, okay?" I laughed as her classroom approached. 

"Okay, well. Now sprint." She folded her arms across her chest and stood in front of the door. 

"Really?" I deadpanned.

"Really," she shrugged. I shook my head with a smile before starting to jog towards the staircase. "Sprint!" she called out. 

I laughed before sprinting to and down the stairs, rushing to the locker room. If it wasn't lacrosse I would have taken a stroll. I got in there and quickly took off my shirt and jeans, exchanging them with the jersey and shorts before grabbing the equipment and going to the field where the rest of the guys were sitting around. 

"The captain is late today, guys. Looks like someone has something more important to take care of," Connor teased. 

I rolled my eyes and threw his gloves at his face before everyone got up and started warming up. 

◆:*:◇:*:◆:*:◇:*:◆

I panted as we all collapsed on the ground. 

"Holy shit, Carter. You have to take it down a notch. This is too much for this heat, and especially just for gym class. This isn't even practice," Jamie whined.