01.1 Trains

Inga stopped her fingers a split second from calling the hotline number. Still, her eyes were drawn to the billboard like iron filings to a magnet.

A woman showed a tomato plant hovering her palm to a group of amazed mid-adults. Above their head, the tagline: 'It's never too late to #LearnMagic!'. The words 'Evening school sponsored by the Department of Supernatural Affairs' were written at the bottom of the poster in a no-nonsense font meant to instil trust. The metallic aftertaste showed that the ad was charmed to catch the eye of any potential student walking through Paddington Station.

"Anyway, I'm not interested," Inga muttered in a dismissive tone, yet unable to put her mobile, look, or walk away. "My hands are already full."

Inga had worked her arse off to be accepted in the Faculty of Economics at Cambridge University. She would work twice as hard to get into the World Bank's Young Professional Program. There weren't enough hours in a day to attend a non-compulsory Magic course. Besides, it did not even sound better than her Supernatural Sciences compulsory class. As far as Inga knew, it could be like the Food Preserving Spells crash course that Mum took a few years before.

Magic was more of a bother than a shortcut. It didn't matter how hard Inga studied or worked; people would question her skills only because the Law gave her a few benefits.

Still, a curiosity mingled with longing tugged at the pit of her stomach.

Her mobile almost slipped from her hand when it vibrated.

Hana: we're in wagon 9

She replied to the message and headed to Platform 5, trying to get the billboard out of her head. But the tagline buzzed in the back of her mind, like a mosquito on a sleepless summer night.

Inga had neither the extraordinary cosmic powers nor the magical endurance of her brother Rozzie, which earned him the DeSNA's patronage and a Telepath job at the Paranormal Police. She could not even spell-dry one knicker without getting a headache and a bloody nose. Moreover, she was too old for a growth spurt, be it magic or physical (although she wouldn't mind growing a B cup). Once upon a time, when Inga was younger and naive, she dreamt of waking up with extraordinary cosmic powers like her brother. As time went by, however, she started to appreciate the greater freedom she enjoyed as a less-than-spectacular, pretty lame Podestaria.

She could study whatever she wanted and choose whatever job she liked the best; her availability for the DeSNA was a mere legal formality. There was a little less than eight million Podestari in the United Kingdom; she was a Lower Class Podestaria and Undifferentiated to boot! The day the Government would mobilise the country's Podestari, Inga would be at the bottom of the list.

"Inga, we're here!"

One of her friends called her out through a window, waving her arm.

Inga waved back and got aboard, making her way to her best friends, Tottie and Hana. They had been lucky enough to get four facing seats, with a small table between for bags, snacks, and drinks.

Inga smiled awkwardly. "Sorry for messing up your plans for the weekend."

"What are friends for? The last time I had you on the phone, you sounded so blue!" Tottie replied with a wink. "I promise I'll get you a hottie to cheer you up!"

Hana laughed. "You didn't give that up, did you?"

A hopeless romantic, Tottie had gone over and beyond to ensure her best friends' romantic happiness. A couple of time, Inga and Hana agreed to date someone so Tottie could tell her stepmother that she was hanging out with them without lying. These had been all awkward, short-lived relationships, the longests going from Christmas to Saint-Valentine. Hana was the first to be fed up with it, while Inga bore with Tottie's matchmaking a little longer.