t w e n t y - t w o

[ scar ]
0:58 ──♡───────── 3:47
↻      ◁ || ▷     ↺

Never in a million years did Taehyung think he'd be standing outside Jimin's door in a cold sweat. Not when he could barely look at his former friend in the eye.

"I need to talk to you." He stuck his foot in the way before Jimin could close the door on him. "Please."

The smaller boy brought a hand up to rub his face, sighing heavily. It was pretty darn clear that Jimin didn't want him around.

"My brother— Jeongguk—"

Jimin gave Taehyung his full attention when his best friend was mentioned. The younger closed his eyes and Jimin could tell he had been crying by the dried tear tracks that glimmered on his cheeks.

"Come in, I suppose." Jimin said reluctantly.

"Thank you." Taehyung muttered as he stepped on the back of his shoes and wiggled them off.

"So what's so important that you had to show up at eleven at night?" The older asked stiffly.

Not feeling welcomed enough to take a seat anywhere, Taehyung stood oddly in the middle of Jimin's living room as he spoke. "Gyu called me today."

Jimin leaned against the dining table. "I thought you told Jeongguk you cut off ties with your family."

"I did. I really did." Taehyung confirmed, he ran fingers through his hair, tugging frustratingly at the roots, "But he somehow got ahold of my number and told me to move back to Busan or he'll— he threatened to hurt Jeongguk."

The younger didn't miss the way Jimin tensed, the muscle on his neck pulsing. And suddenly he was transported back to the days they used protect Jeongguk... together. Cursing out anyone who dared bully the youngest in school, and walking him home when he stayed at the library too late at night to consider safe. They had a mutual fondness for Jeongguk. It was just that Taehyung's fondness grew into something more.

"This was exactly what I was afraid of." Jimin said point-blankly, a frown engraved onto his features. He exhaled. "Your family is so fucked, Tae. So, so fucked."

"I know."

"So... you're going back to Busan?"

Taehyung shook his head immediately. "No... no I can't. I just can't. I've built a whole new life away from them. I just got Jeongguk back. I can't throw it all away now." He looked up, not sure what reaction to expect from the blonde boy.

Jimin's face remained emotionless. Taehyung could barely recognize this side of him.

"What do you want me to do, then?"

"Keep an eye out for Jeongguk and make sure he's always with someone he trusts. Just for a few days." Taehyung answered steadily through his hands were shaking. "I'll fix things, somehow. I'll change my number and—"

"Does Jeongguk know?" The older crossed his arms.

"Please don't tell him." Taehyung pleaded, "I don't want to scare him away again."

Jimin stared at him for a second before nodding slowly. "Fine. I won't."

"I know this a lot to ask for, from me-"

"I'm doing it for Jeongguk. Not you."

Ouch. Taehyung felt it like a dull slap to the face, grimacing. But he knew he deserved it, flashbacks of their past replaying in his mind like a broken video tape. "I never got to say I'm sorry." His voice lowered to a hush, Adam's apple bobbing.