°Leaves From the Vine°

I tear up every time I watch this video. I recommend listening to this, before you read on!

This chapter does talk about war and death, so if it makes you uncomfortable, please skip. Happy reading!

'One small red velvet cake, please' Sean whispered, his arm loosely wrapped around his wife's shoulders.

'Would you like anything written on it. Is it a date for the two of you?' The lady behind the counter asked. Her hair was in a blue hairnet, and her hands were pushed in matching blue gloves. 'A special occasion?'

'No, it's not a date. It's a special occasion' Kaycee piped up, leaning into Sean and resting her head on his shoulder. The lady nodded her head, taking the small red velvet out of the stand and packing it in a small paper box. She popped it into a bag, attaching the company's business card on it.

'7 dollars' she smiled, unaware of the couples situation. Sean handed her the required money, adding the cake into their picnic basket.

'Thank you' they waved off, smiling sadly to anyone they walked by. Sean slid his hand into Kaycee's, giving it a light squeeze as he discretely watched her blinking away her tears. The two walked hand in hand, down to their special place. It was a grassy area, surrounded by flowers, blossoming with the compassion he shared throughout his life. A reminder of the love he brought to so many. Each petal symbolising his elegance and remarkable charm. The colour of each represnting his different styles and moods. But the main plant was the big Banyan tree, located at the top of the hill.

The tree lifted its branches to the sky as if its very presence was enough to beat back the darkness and command the daylight to fall on his papery leaves. His bark shone like the right kind of gold, the sort that inspires the mind to heady heights of imagination, opening doors to a fantasy world. It was no wonder that the tree is where Sean and Kaycee went when their souls needed to recharge, when all the moments in the world felt cold but the touch of the trunk and strong branches felt like a hug from the heavens above. A hug from him.

The trees let their leaves fall down on the pair, like an angel dust sprinkling over them to protect their pure and broken hearts. They stood in silence for awhile, biting their lips as they let their tears freely trickle down.

'Let's start, shall we?' Kaycee whispered, taking out a photo frame. She laid it in front of the tree trunk, pressing a kiss onto the image with her fingers. Sean opened the picnic basket, placing the cake as well as the candles on top. He lit the candles, watching it light up the photo, illuminating the face.

'If only I could have helped you, my son' Sean whimpered, recalling the first moment he entered the world. The first moment he held him. The moment he left for the army. And now, now he was gone. A bright light leaving the world and joining the other stars. Their first child. Their only child, lost to the war.

Sean sat down on his knees, bringing his sobbing wife into his chest as they closed their eyes and prayed for him. 

'He's a brave boy, love. He's safe in heaven now' Kaycee consoled when she felt his tears slowly drop onto her forehand. 

Sean nodded his head. He knew she was right but he couldn't bear accepting the loss of their son. 'Happy birthday, Kayden' he whispered. He waited until the breeze blew out the candle, a sign that he was there with them and celebrating what would have been his 21st birthday.

A full year after his passing, the mourning had not run it's course. The heaviness was in their limbs as much as their mind. Things they used to find funny now only caused a deepening of the pain. He should have been here to celebrate his birthday, he should have been there to surprise his parents with a visit.  He would have been gossiping about the people he worked with worse than an old woman. But most of all he should be there to hug his parents and tell them goodnight and kiss them before he left for work once more. Maybe for a month, or for a year. 

Kaycee missed all that. Now there was just a graveyard, a stone that bore his name and his cold bones beneath the soil. She had always been somewhat agnostic, but now she put all her faith in God to care for him and reunite them when her life was done. Nothing and nobody that good could simply disappear, he was waiting, she could feel it.

Sean whimpered, wiping his nose with the hem of his shirt as he began to sing.

'Leaves from the vine. Falling so slow' the tears stuck in his throat, made him croak out the first few lines of the song as his hands trembled with sadness.

'Like fragile tiny shells. Drifting in the foam'. Kaycee laid a hand on Sean's, squeezing it as every memory of their son raced through her mind.

'Little soldier boyCome marching home'. At the mention of soldier boy, Sean choked on his tears, looking away from the photo as the pain sunk in further.

'Brave soldier boy. Comes marching home' he sang the last few lines, humming the tune as more leaves fell and sprinkled over his photo, the leaves flowing down slowly like the calm and cheerful person Kayden was.

'Happy birthday, baby. We're so so proud of you' Kaycee sniffled, bringing the photo up to her and Sean's face as they admried the human they created, they raised. She brushed her finger over the picture, highlighting the dimple appearing on the son's cheek.

'Like father like son' Kaycee giggled sadly, poking Sean's left dimple. Sean let out a chuckle, the first real and genuine one since a long time. 

'I love you, Kayc' he whispered. 'I love you so much'

'I love you too, bubs ' she comforted, sitting up and straddling his lap. The move caught him off guard but he held onto her. not letting her fall- the same way he would ever drop her during a dance rehearsal or dance recital. Kaycee looped her arms around his neck, nuzzling her face into his neck as she cried some more.

'It'll be okay, Kayc. He's safe, now love. He's safe. Our little soldier boy is finally safe'

AN| HEY GUYS 👋! HOW ARE Y'ALL?

I HOPE YOU ENJOYED READING THIS ONE-SHOT!

THIS ONE WAS HEAVILY INSPIRED BY THE EPISODE OF 'TALES OF IROH' AND THE SONG 'LEAVES FROM THE VINE'. ITS SUCH A HEART BRAKING SONG, AND IS FILLED WITH SO MUCH MEANING. IF YOU KNOW THE BACKSTORY OF THIS SONG, IT JUST MAKES IT EVEN MORE SADDER.

IK THIS DIDNT REALLY HAVE MUCH S&K MOMENTS, BUT I WAS REALLY INSPIRED BY THIS SONG AND WANTED TO WRITE ABOUT IT. ASWELL AS, BEING SO INCREDIBLY PROUD AND INSPIRED BY THE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WHO RISK THEIR LIVES TO WORK IN THE ARMY AND SAVE THEIR COUNTRY. THEY'RE SO BRAVE AND  COURAGEOUS, AND I WANTED TO TAKE A MOMENT TO APPRECIATE THEIR WORK AND BRAVERY. THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO HAS WORKED IN THE ARMY, THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO IS STILL WORKING IN THE ARMY. IM PRAYING FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS DIED DURING WARS AND PRAYING FOR THEIR FAMILY. IT MUST BE HEARTBREAKING TO HEAR THAT KIND OF NEWS.

QOTD: DO YOU KNOW ANYONE WHO HAS WORKED IN THE ARMY? My grandad worked in the army, and actually ran away from home at 16 to join it. I'm so inspired by him every day for his courage.

❤️❤️❤️

DON'T FORGET TO COMMENT, VOTE, FOLLOW AND SHARE

LOVE YOU GUYS,

XXX