Chapter 53: Hope

Chapter 53:

After school, Kei arrived home to find his brother excitedly waiting for him in the living room.

"So, what are you buying Mizuki-chan?" Akiteru inquired, giggling, "Is it a romantic gift for her? Isn't it your one and a half year anniversary?"

"The fact that you know that scares me..." Kei furrowed his eyebrows in disgust, "And, don't make me regret asking you to go with me, nii-san..."

"Okay! Okay! I'm sorry!" He chuckled, "Seriously though, why didn't you ask any of your friends to go with you?"

"Because I don't want any of them to know yet." Kei responded coolly.

"To know what?" Akiteru blinked a few times.

"Are you ready to go to the jewelry store now?" Kei changed the topic instantly.

"Oh... Yes!" Akiteru scrambled around to get his car keys and wallet.

The Tsukishima brothers left their house and drove to the nearest jewelry store. As soon as Akiteru parked the car, Kei strolled into the store without him. He sprinted towards Kei, winded and out of breath.

"So," Akiteru panted tiredly, "Are you buying Mizuki-chan a necklace?"

"No."

To Akiteru, that was somewhat unexpected - necklaces were Kei's signature gifts to Mizuki so he wondered why there was a sudden change of routine. Oh well.

"Earrings?" He guessed this time.

"No."

Kei began scanning the store attentively, looking for the perfect one.

"Bracelet?" Akiteru asked slowly.

"No."

At this point, Akiteru was becoming apprehensive - there weren't a lot of things to buy in jewelry stores...

"Anklet?" Akiteru laughed nervously.

"No."

Akiteru quivered tensely, realizing that there was only one piece of jewelry he hadn't guessed yet. It couldn't be, right? Kei was way too young to be purchasing a... ring... for... marriage... right?

"A broach?" Akiteru squeaked, hoping that he was wrong.

"No." Kei answered flatly.

A saleslady approached Kei, and said, "Hello sir, what can I help you look for today?"

Akiteru shuddered as he faced his brother, who had a stoic expression on his face. Don't say it...

"I'm looking for a ring." Kei revealed, causing his brother's remaining sanity to deplete.

"A promise ring, right?" Akiteru panicked, his gaze darting between his younger brother and the sales lady, "Promise rings are great because it sends a message that I promise to marry you when we're older, graduated, and have stable jobs! Right?!"

"No," Kei insisted slowly, "An engagement ring."

Akiteru felt his legs mush into jelly, and several sales associates approached him asking if he was alright and needed a drink of water.

"Kei! You can't be serious!" Akiteru shook his head disapprovingly, "You're both too young to get married!"

"Who said anything about getting married right away?" Kei raised an eyebrow doubtingly.

"Why are you buying an engagement ring then?!" Akiteru exclaimed as the sales associate provided him with a chair to sit on in case he passed out.

Kei remained silent as a few shimmering rings caught his eyes.