26. Pool party

~song of the day~
The night is still young - Nicki Minaj

Dad offered to take me to school on Monday morning, and before I could say no, Gray was already up and out the door like he was being chased by a bulldog

Dad offered to take me to school on Monday morning, and before I could say no, Gray was already up and out the door like he was being chased by a bulldog. Traitor.

Although my dad had given me my space all weekend, which I was grateful for, it still wasn't enough. Two days wasn't enough for me to come to terms with the fact that he's been lying to me all my life. Suddenly, he felt like a total stranger, not the same person I used to tell all my worries. Why couldn't he trust me as I trusted him?

I stare down at my Calculus notebook, pretending to be reviewing a topic that I knew absolutely nothing on.

"Quiz today?" Dad asks, letting his eyes shift to my book before returning to the road.

"Uh...hmm, " I hum with a nod.

An awkward silence fills the car again. The only sounds one could hear were the sound of traffic, car horns, and feet shuffling on the streets of New York. I pull my AirPods out of my bag to place them in my ear, but Dad stops me by placing his right hand on mine just before the AirPods could reach my ear.

"Can you not, I want to talk to you?" He says.

But I don't. "Dad, I'm trying to study for a Quiz, " I sigh exasperatedly, lying with ease.

"It would only take a minute."

"I can't let you ruin my mood before my test," I cross my arms around my chest. I wasn't ready to hear whatever he wanted to say. Just in case he was about to say something like I'm shipping you off to your father next week.

"I ruin your mood?" His voice sounded strained and hurt.

I close my eyes, immediately regretting making him feel that way. "I just don't want to talk about Wendy and whatnot. It's all too much to take in. I just need space." Subconsciously, I knew I wasn't mad at him but the situation. I only took it out on him because there was no one else to be angry at.

Dad nods his head hesitantly and bites the insides of his cheeks. "Space," his voice trails off as I place my Airpods in my ear.

I feel guilty again for cutting him off like that. I knew nothing was his fault, and that he was just as much of a victim as I was. But I just wasn't ready to have that conversation yet.

He drops me off at school, and I get off without saying a word. I walk into the school halls, making my face look as bitchy as possible so no one would try and talk to me. I guess I didn't look ascertaining enough because Fawn drops her hands over my shoulders from behind, grinning brightly.

"I'm so pumped for the Quiz this morning. I stayed up all night, " She rambles happily.

Who in their right mind would be happy to write a test? A calculus test.