55. THE FAVORITE

55. THE FAVORITE

"SO Y'ALL KNOW THAT Trevor is my brother," The microphone carries Marcus's voice throughout the reception hall, making Aliyah smile at his starter

"SO Y'ALL KNOW THAT Trevor is my brother," The microphone carries Marcus's voice throughout the reception hall, making Aliyah smile at his starter. She already knows he's about to say some bullshit, "But what y'all don't know is that I'm the favorite."

Yeah, she saw that coming.

Elijah chuckles beside her, matching the energy of the rest of the guests who'd laughed at his words. When Aliyah opened the party up to toasts, she wasn't surprised in the least that Marcus had volunteered to go first. He always has a way to make things about himself - even during his brother's wedding.

"Like, I'm not even playing — and I don't mean to make this about me, but," He shrugs, playfully, "It kinda is."

Behind the wedding party table, Trevor rolls his eyes and juts his chin, waiting for his brother to get to the point of his toast.

"Alright, alright, all jokes aside," Marcus waves his hand, playfully, "I always thought I'd be married before this dude — I was right —" He flashes the hand with his wedding band, before pointing to the man sat beside him, "Shout out to you, baby!" His husband raises his flute of champagne, receiving whistles from some of the people in the crowd. A giggle escapes Aliyah as she tightens her grip on Elijah's hand.

Marcus proceeds to scan the room before settling on the bride and groom sat behind the long, white table. He continues, "It feels like just yesterday we were back in high school when I was the good Robinson with straight A's and captain of the dance team and you were just making bad decisions and pretty much ruining your life right up until graduation - 'cause, let's be honest," He looks around the room again, landing on Aliyah for just a second before shifting his gaze, a wide grin on his face, "We all make mistakes."

Aliyah furrows her eyebrows in confusion. Not that it's her place to care anymore, but she can't help but let her mind replay Marcus's words. Is he saying Aliyah and Trevor's relationship was a mistake or that him being a cheating asshole was the fault, considering they both happened before graduation? Currently, Aliyah coughs it up to both of those. 

"But," The toast-giver holds up a single finger, "Good things do come out of mistakes, and for those we should be grateful. These things are what allow us to progress, to become the people we are today." He raises his glass towards Kayla, sat behind the table, "And Kayla, honey, I'm grateful for you."

The room applauds his speech — though Aliyah could tell some people were as confused as she was.

"Wow," Aliyah coos in surprise, her eyes wide in shock, "I had no idea he was capable of being sincere."

Elijah holds back the laugh that threatens to bubble out of him, "Point made."

The rest of the wedding party went down the line and said their toasts, receiving the appropriate reactions from the audience before Aliyah finds that its time for the first dance.