1.4

*

*

A cool glass of water sat in Ana's hands, as still and silent as she was. Shock had set in as soon as they reached Eric's apartment and she was slowly working over what she had just seen. Eric was next to her, patiently waiting for her to speak. Ana still couldn't believe that Al attacked Tris.

Though she couldn't say that it didn't make sense. Just a few days ago, Al had been saying that Tris was a major threat to him but Ana didn't ever think he'd do something like this. This was something a coward would do and she didn't think Al was a coward.

How was she supposed to face him after this? He wouldn't know that Ana had seen the attack but there was no way she could treat him the same when he tried to kill her friend. She closed her eyes, removing one hand from the cup to place it against her forehead.

Her hand was cold from the glass of water and she felt the coolness seep into her head, soothing her headache slightly. "How am I supposed to face him, Eric?"

She felt him place an arm around her tense shoulders and let herself fall as he pulled her into his side. He didn't say anything for a few moments, letting his hand rub up and down her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her. "You don't have to."

"I do." Ana whispered. "He was my friend."

"He was Tris's friend, too." He said gently. Eric used his other hand to set Ana's glass on the table. He gripped her hand in his tightly and Ana squeezed back. Her eyes begun to sting with unshed tears and she tipped her head back as she blinked them away.

As much as Ana hated to do it, she knew she would have to act normally around Al. If he knew that Ana saw him attack Tris, would he try to do the same to her? What would he do now that Tris had escaped, thanks to Four?

"Who do you think the others were?" Her voice was quiet as she spoke and, while she had an idea of who else attacked Tris, she didn't want to sit in silence.

Eric's hand rested on her shoulder now and he placed his chin on her head. "I'm sure Peter had something to do with it."

"Why? Because he hates her?" Ana scoffed. "He's not even close to being pushed out of Dauntless so what motive did he have?"

"The same one Al had. They both feel threatened by her since she's moved up so fast in the rankings. Peter's hatred comes from jealously while Al is afraid of being factionless so they decide to take out the best." Eric said simply.

She processed his words. It made perfect sense but her heart ached that Al thought he had to do that. Ana sighed, leaning away from Eric as she placed her forearms on her thighs. She ran a hand through her hair before looking back at him. "I should probably get back."

"No." Eric shook his head. "You can stay here tonight just in case they're still wandering the halls."

"Eric-" Ana was ready to protest when he cut her off again.