44 ; clover

LITTLE MISS MUDBLOOD – ACT 1 : SCENE 3 : CHAPTER 44

It took a few seconds for the absurdity of the statement to sink in. Then Ron voiced what even Y/N was thinking.

"You're both mental."

"Ridiculous!" said Hermione faintly.

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" said Harry. "He killed him twelve years ago!" He pointed at Black, whose face twitched convulsively.

"I meant to," he growled, his yellow teeth bared, "but little Peter got the better of me . . . not this time, though!"

And the floorboard creaked noisily as Black lunged for Scabbers; Ron yelled with pain as Black's weight fell on his broken leg.

"Sirius, NO!" Lupin yelled, launching himself forwards and dragging Black away from Ron again. "WAIT! You can't do it just like that – they need to understand – we've got to explain –"

"We can explain afterwards!" snarked Black, trying to throw Lupin off. One hand was still clawing the air as it tried to reach Scabbers, who was squealing like a piglet, scratching Ron's face and neck as he tried to escape.

"They've – got – a – right – to – know – everything!" Lupin panted, still trying to restrain Black. "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand! And Harry – you owe Harry the truth, Sirius!"

Black stopped struggling, though his hollowed eyes were still fixed on Scabbers, who was clamped tightly under Ron's bitten, scratched, and bleeding hands.

"All right, then," Black said, without taking his eyes off the rat. "Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for. . . ."

"You're nutters, both of you," said Ron shakily, looking at Harry and Hermione. "I've had enough of this. I'm off."

Y/N rolled her eyes as Ron tried to heave himself up on his good leg. However, Lupin raised his wand again, pointing it at Scabbers.

"You're going to hear me out, Ron," he said quietly. "Just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen."

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled, trying to force the rat back into his front pocket, but Scabbers was fighting too hard; Ron swayed and overbalanced, and Harry caught him and pushed him back down to the bed. Y/N's fists clenched tightly. Just listen to him! she wanted to yell at him. If it were her dog she'd want to hear an explanation, but then again, this was Ron they were talking about. When mad, he didn't listen to anyone.

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," said Harry. "A whole street full of them . . ."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" said Black savagely, still watching Scabbers struggling in Ron's hands.