Things

Prologue

contents: idol!reader x moonbyul dating news, brief mention of food, idol!reader hinted to be in sm ent, reader is younger than moonbyul

The video feed showed you adjusting your hair on your shoulders, making sure your hair was parted the way you liked. The mic crackled at your movement and you winced, inclining your head in apology to the producers. They waved you off so you refocused, looking at your mark just above the camera. The interviewer repeated the question.

Is there an idol group you admire?

Of course, I could mention my seniors from my company. But honestly, Mamamoo. They've done so much as a group and I admire their individual works as well as their group releases.

Is there a certain member that you like?

You looked off camera to see your members failing to stifle their loud giggling. They had their interviews already and as the leader you had agreed to go last. The day was getting long and they were all dressed comfortably while you were still in a full face of makeup. It was rough being the oldest.

Ahhh, you hid behind your hands truly surprised by the question. Is it okay to say this?

The youngest in your group of four rallied you, "She won't see this so just be brave!"

That makes me feel better. Moonbyul, she is of course charismatic. She writes all her raps and has so many credits! I hope I can experiment with composing and writing after my debut as well. She seems like the type of person that takes care of herself and doesn't neglect the people around her.

That sounds more like a love declaration?

The giggling had turned into uproarious laughter, your manager shushing them and quickly shooing them away. The blush on your cheeks looked more red then the original pink makeup. You looked shyly at the camera.

Of course I have a lot of love and admiration for Moo-Mamamoo. They're the best.

Even back then there was proof. The clip, an unreleased cut included in the kihno kit your company had produced for your group debut. You had mentioned Moonbyul in countless interviews after, but that was the trending clip of the day.

Ah, so even since then? What started as a young one sided love? ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ
At least she has taste. Moonbyul is a dream
Please say this isn't true. Not my Moonbyul ㅠㅠㅠㅠ
They're close friends. That's all.
Isn't this suspicious? Who would believe this?

At least the most recent comments were not awful. You stopped reading to avoid anything else. You searched her name first, after inputting the first letter the search bar autofilled with possible results.

Moonbyul dating

Moonbyul gay

Moonbyul scandal

The last one hurt your heart. You didn't want to even look up your name. The group chat was buzzing, your members keeping you updated of what was happening at the company.

Your manager had already called saying not to come to practice that day. Not until the company figured out on the press release they wanted to put out.

It was times like these you missed living in a dorm, your groupmates literally just steps away.

At the time, privacy for you and your girlfriend made the choice to move out much easier. But in this apartment you rented for yourself, it was too empty without Byulyi there.

The last time she was here was two days ago. You had spent New Year's Eve with Byul, watching the fireworks from your balcony and promising to make this year better than the last. You weren't sure if that was possible seeing as you had been with the girl of your dreams for almost a year now. Byul had kissed you goodnight, promising to stay over next time.

Two days since you had seen each other in person. One day since you had spoken to her. Byul promised to talk to her company about it. You felt like you should be advocating for yourself too, but your manager had been firm with their instructions, stay put. You had muted your phone after the alerts from your social media and texts from friends.

You dialed her number, Byulyi's phone went straight to voicemail.

This whole situation was stressing you out but so far you could not manage the tears to cry. You spent those next days laying on your couch playing movies in the background but not really watching. Your phone and tablet remained untouched on your coffee table, silenced. You were confused about how to feel. The stress of it left you numb. Your smart watch alarm went off, it was time to eat.

You tried not to look at your pitiful step count, you had not even managed to practice dancing for your comeback. A low energy body only wanted low energy food. You settled with some fruit at the table, you weren't hungry but knew you should eat something. The door to your apartment unlocked, Byulyi calmly taking off her shoes. She was wearing a mask and a ball cap low on her face. The baggy clothes she wore hid her frame and if you did not know her familiar saunter you would have thought her a stranger. That was probably the point.

She removed her disguise, short hair falling out of her hat. It was only when she was freed that she looked at you. You sat there, not sure what was coming next. If she came over to break up then you needed the surety of the chair underneath you.

"Hey," The distance between you two seemed too big for you to overcome at the moment. You pushed your fruit plate in the middle of the table, inviting her to sit with your hand.

"So..." you started, the strawberry you held was overripe. You could tell by the smush of red it left on your fingers. It burst in your mouth, the cool liquid giving you something to focus on.

Byulyi riffled a hand through her hair, standing up suddenly to get a cup of water. You didn't even have to tell her where it was anymore.

She sat down again, gulping until the glass was half empty. "I have a question for you."

Her fingers were tense on the glass, you were afraid it might break. You licked the residue off your fingers, rubbing them in your palm to dry them. Byulyi's eyes followed your moment, leaning back in her chair. Her arm still extended to her glass. She looked like she was posing for a magazine.

How did we end up here?