69 Distraction

Iris~~

As one, Anastasie and Isabeau rise from their thrones.

"So very naughty." Isabeau shakes her head. "Trying to leave us. Hurting our Preeminence." I'm not sure if she's referring to me or Bently.

They each draw their guns, pointing them our way. My hands are full with Bently, Jonas's with Odette. Even if Jonas were to drop Odette, the Beta and Tresais would shoot before he could reach for his gun. Bently has one strapped to his hip. Could he grab it fast enough? With his head injury, would he even be able to shoot straight?

My instinct is to shield Jonas. An instinct I'm unable to act on.

Anastasie and Isabeau descend the steps of the dais, their guns never lowering.

"Now, Bently," Isabeau says, "unless you'd like to see how Iris looks while bleeding on the floor, restrain her."

"Don't," I order Jonas's Digamma. Not their Delta. Our Digamma.

"Iris," he hisses, his mouth close to my ear.

"They won't kill me." I keep my voice low so only he can make it out. "Not with Odette here."

His hand tightens on my arm. "That's quite the assumption." Especially with Odette's eyes closed and the fact that she may be passed out.

"And you, Preeminence." Anastasie cocks her head at Jonas. "Place our leader on the ground. I'd expect at least you wouldn't entertain the idea of seeing your bride dead at your feet."

As they continue to walk closer, I catch movement out of the corner of my eye. Tobias and Sebastian hover in the entryway Odette used when leaving during the revel I attended.

I don't care how they've managed to stumble upon us. I only care that they did.

Jonas lowers Odette to the ground, his eyes kept forward on those holding the guns.

Anastasie and Isabeau are close enough to us that they don't see Tobias and Sebastian silently making their way into the room. I pray Odette's passed out because if she gives away Tobias and Sebastian . . .

"Bently." Anastasie's trains her gun on me. "Now."

Bently musters his strength, turning me toward him. "Forgive me, Iris," he whispers against my ear, his breath fanning over the ridge of my ear, my neck.

"Don't." If I'm restrained and they try to go for Jonas—

Bently's hands tighten around my back right before he brings his mouth to mine, his lips pressing against mine with a need that slams into me.

"Bently—" Jonas's voice cracks.

I try snaking my hands between us to push him away, but Bently wrenches me against him, pulling his mouth away so it hovers over mine.

"This is what they really want." His voice is rough. "Help me save us."

He's right, damn it. Seeing me kiss Jonas's Digamma in front of him is exactly the kind of act the two of them would relish in. I can't see Jonas, but I'm not sure I could stand to see the betrayal he must be feeling right now. I wish I could tell him what this really is. That my heart is still his. But now is not the time.

Tobias and Sebastian need the distraction.

I turn my face away from Bently and toward Anastasie and Isabeau, their expressions as hungry as wolves as they look at me in Bently's arms.