23: Lost Stars

"God, tell us the reason youth is wasted
on the young.
It's hunting season and the lambs
are on the run.
Searching for meaning.
But are we all lost stars,
trying to light up the dark?"
~ Adam Levine

But are we all lost stars, trying to light up the dark?"~ Adam Levine

3rd Person's POV

Mila tries to break free from the zip ties on her wrists as the lizard sets up the cloud machine on top of OsCorp building. It was set to detonate the serum in two minutes. Mila starts to feel light headed. She looks down at her arm and sees two large gashes from the lizards claws on her forearm.

It doesn't take long for Peter to show up and they start fighting. The lizard then gets hold of Peter, smashes one of Peter's mechanical web slingers, rips his mask off and starts to strangle him.

"Peter! No! Let him go!"

Peter glances up and sees Mila stranded on top of the machine. He grunts in pain and tries to pull the lizards hand off his neck.

"Poor, Peter Parker. No mother. No father. No uncle. All alone."

Suddenly they hear the sound of a shotgun cocking, "He's not alone!"

"Daddy!"

George Stacy glances up at Mila and frowns. Looking back towards the lizard, he shoots at a tank of liquid nitrogen. Peter then freezes the lizard to slow its regeneration while Stacy shoots it with his shotgun making the lizard fall into the tank.

"Hey, gift from Gwen!"

George throws Peter the antidote, "I got this, Peter! Go!"

Peter nods. He quickly makes his way up the cloud machine. He hurries over to Mila and carefully rips the ties off her wrists.

"Alright you're okay." Peter repeats not only for her sake but his. He holds onto Mila's waist.

"Uh Peter..."

Peter follows her eyes and sees the lizard struggling to escape. He glances at Mila and smiles sheepishly.

"Oh no... not again."

Peter quickly throws Mila off the machine making her scream. He attached a web to her wrists allowing her to land on the roof softly. The lizard breaks out of the liquid nitrogen ice coating and impales George with its claws.

Mila runs over to George as the lizard climbs the machine. She drops on her knees and holds her dads hand.

"Daddy? You're okay. Right?"

"I think so sweetheart. I'm okay if you're okay."

Mila tears up as she stares at the deep gashes on his side, "I don't think that's how it works Daddy."

Just as the lizard chases to stop Peter, he manages to swap the serum with the antidote, it explodes into a giant cloud over the city and hits the lizard, turning him back to his human form. As the pinnacle Peter is on breaks off from the liquid nitrogen spillage, Peter falls but he's saved by Connors grabbing him and pulling him to safety.

"The Captain!"

Peter runs over to Mila and George, who is gravely wounded.

"Captain!"

"The lizard?"

Peter nods slowly, "It's okay. We stopped him. Let's get you out of here."

George winces in pain as Peter tries to move him. Mila sobs as she squeezes George's hand. Peter looks at Mila in despair.

"I don't know what to do Pete."

George watches the two and it's like a light goes off in his head. He finally knew what Gwen meant. He finally understood why Mila had been depressed for months and why she kept getting into trouble.

Peter looks at Mila and shakes his head slowly, "I d-don't. Ror go get help."

"I'm gonna go get the medics. You are going to be okay daddy. I'll be right back."

Mila kisses his forehead and quickly runs to the door. Peter grips his hair as he watches her disappear. He looks down at George who was closing his eyes. He quickly pats George's face making him open his eyes wide.

"Look at me. You're gonna stay with me. Help's on the way, okay?"

George shakes his head, "You need to... you need to be gone when they... when they get here. Okay?"

Peter frowns, "I'm not going anywhere."

George sighs, "I was wrong about you, Peter. The city needs you. Here." He holds out Peter's mask, "You're gonna need this."

Peter takes his mask. His heart was beating out his chest in worry.

"You're gonna make enemies, people will get hurt. Sometimes people closest to you. So I want you to promise me something, okay?"

Peter nods his head.

"Leave Mila out of it. Promise me that." Peter looks down.

"Huh?"

Peter was lost. He didn't know what to do. If he promised that meant he would have to keep Mila out of everything which meant he would have to separate himself form her once again. They had just revealed their true feelings for one another and the next thing he knew the mere thought of being together with Mila was ripped away from him.

George coughs slightly snapping Peter out of his head, "You promise me."

Peter reluctantly nods his head, "Yes."

George closes his eyes as he takes his last breath. Peter lets out a painful cry as he stares at the now dead Captain. He mentally curses as he hears the doors open back up.

Mila gasps as she looks at her dad and Peter. Dropping to the ground she looks at her dad's still body in shock.

"Daddy?"

Silence.

"Daddy? You can't leave. Please..."

Peter moves back as Mila sobs and holds onto George's body.

"No you can't leave! I need you. Please. Gwen needs you. Mom needs you. Howie and Simon and Phil need you. You can't leave us, you can't."

Peter silently sobs as he looks out at the city with Mila crying heartbroken in the background. He didn't know how to deal with the fact that her dad made him promise to basically stay away from her.

This was the beginning of a nightmare.

𝑯𝒐𝒘 𝒅𝒐 𝒘𝒆 𝒇𝒆𝒆𝒍? 𝑫𝒊𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒄𝒓𝒚? 𝑰 𝒎𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒄𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒅

𝑯𝒐𝒘 𝒅𝒐 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒇𝒆𝒆𝒍 𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝑮𝒆𝒐𝒓𝒈𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑷𝒆𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒎𝒊𝒔𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒌𝒆𝒆𝒑 𝑴𝒊𝒍𝒂 𝒐𝒖𝒕𝒐𝒇 𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒃𝒍𝒆?