16: Paralysis

Warning! As hinted by the title, reader is paralysed in this from the waist down. I apologise if I haven't written it exactly right, I don't personally know anyone with this disability and have gotten all my information off of the NHS website. Also there's a character in this called Mei, but she's not Hatsume.

Request by: MakaMarie

Quirk: Fairy

 When I was born, doctors found out I was paralysed from the waist down. My mother constantly apologised to me, blaming herself. My twin sister Bella always said that she should've been paralysed, not me. Every time they said things like this I told them off, as it wasn't as if I couldn't move at all - I had a quirk called fairy, meaning I had fairy-like wings which helped my mobility greatly.

Our middle school was incredibly large and intimidating, and on top of that Bella and I weren't in any of the same classes. Bella would try her best to defend me from the bullies, but because she and I were only able to see each other at break times, she wasn't always able to. It wasn't as if I couldn't handle things on my own; I'd often ignore the harsh words but the physical abuse was harder to avoid.

People would often kick at my wheelchair, try to knock it over and some took the handles on the back and pushed me too fast down the corridors, making the chair run out of control. I was bullied even more when I wrote UA down on my high school application form. Even my teacher told me I wouldn't be able to make it into the prestigious hero school. Bella tried to up my spirits and even told the teacher to 'fuck off,' when she overheard our conversation, earning her a trip to the headmasters office.

I was so desperate to become a hero though, to show that even people with disabilities can achieve their dreams, and I wanted to inspire people. "Ha, you really think you'll be a hero? What good would a pathetic loser in a wheelchair be?" One of my many bullies snickered as I finally handed in my request form.

"I will become a hero," I whispered under my breath, but he heard me.

"Oh please, you should just go back to the trash where you belong, what good are you if you can't move?" He and his friends laughed as they walked away. I sighed, trying to ignore his words as I wheeled my chair towards the lift, pressing the ground floor button and feeling desperate to get home.

The next couple of weeks were hard, as I spent all my school time being horrifically bullied about my high school choice, and I spent all my free time studying in determination. The written exam came and went, and now I was in the waiting hall, readying myself for the physical exam. A few people sent me strange glances, but as soon as the doors opened I raised from my wheelchair using my wings that I usually kept hidden, and started flying straight for the robots, able to use my agility to bring them down.

After the exam, everyone around me was baffled and a few people even approached me to congratulate me. The following week was full of nervousness as I awaited my results. Mei, one of my many bullies who had attended the exams was bragging about how well she had apparently done, and that she was going to be accepted into 1-A without a doubt. She made sure I could hear her when she said 'I bet they just threw (y/n)'s application and results straight into the garbage where someone as pathetic as her belongs!'

On the Friday of that week however, I came home with Bella to see mum holding a letter with the UA stamp on it. "Your results are here!" She screamed, panicked. Quickly I took them from her and wheeled my way to my room, the rest of my family waiting outside the door. Carefully I tore open the envelope, a small disc falling out and a projection of All Might appearing in front of me. "Congratulations young (y/n) (l/n)! You have been accepted into UA's class 1-A!"