32. camera shy

You hoped he would stick around long enough so you could prove him wrong.

You let out a sigh as you finished your last pancake. "Time for work, I guess. Are you done?" Your eyes motioned to Spencer's plate, which had practically been licked clean.

"Yes. Wow. I really don't want to work today."

"Trust me, it will be worth it, Spence." You winked, giggling.

"Oh really? I guess I have to suck it up then." Spencer made his way to the shower with a smile on his face.

You couldn't wait for today. Lots of surprises ahead.

After the two of you got ready for work, you drove together in your car.

Everyone acted relatively normal, as if it wasn't Spencer's birthday. The team obviously knew, but they didn't want Spencer to suspect a thing. You and Penelope had put together a surprise party for him at your apartment later tonight, and you didn't want anyone to tip him off.

Just as you and Spencer got settled at your desks, Hotch exited his office, leaning against the railing of the porch-like office ramp. "Everyone, meet me in the conference room. We have a case."

You grumbled quietly and paced alongside Spencer as everyone made their way into the conference room.

Hotch stood at the whiteboard, flipping it to a side with a bunch of boring bullshit written down with his trademark blue whiteboard marker.

Oh god, not one of these cases.

Hotch enjoyed keeping us on our toes, of course, but we never just willy nilly flew to Los Angeles.

"Okay. Los Angeles, specifically west Hollywood." Hotch began passing out papers, and returned to the whiteboard, pointing out yearbook photos of each victim.

"There has been one murder- a student at Los Angeles Film School."

You furrowed your brows, leaning onto your elbows which rested on the table. "Why are we talking about one murder..?"

"The LAPD told us to look into it. Not your run of the mill shooter in the alleyway, y/l/n." Hotch handed you one of the tablets, and you leaned back in your chair.

You and Emily swiped through the images of the crime scene on the tablet.

It was gruesome, to say the least.

"As you can all see.. this crime scene is replicating.." Hotch paused for a moment.

"A famous death scene from film, it seems." Spencer spoke up, placing his glasses on his head once he was finished looking at the photos.

You straightened your sitting position, continuing to stare at one photo. "The Wizard of Oz." You flipped the tablet towards Hotch for a moment, then turned it back to you. "The unsub tried to melt her body with something like.. Sodium hydroxide. But they left in a hurry.. There were still parts of her left when the cops found her."

Emily set down her tablet, tapping her pen against her chin. "The unsub would've needed at least three hours to completely melt Teresa down. Maybe they were late for.. Class?"

Derek nodded his head for a moment, studying the papers that Hotch handed all of you. "The unsub is definitely a student, and somehow if not, a professor. They're planning on reenacting famous films most likely discussed in classes."

"That sounds right, Morgan. We head out tomorrow afternoon. Halloween is in three days, and the LAPD expect this unsub to strike again soon."

You all left the conference room shortly after, now with a lot more work to do.