Chapter Twenty Eight

Catherine didn't focus on her friends and her being surround by former co-workers with guns in their hands. She didn't focus on Brock's face as he stared at her. She couldn't figure it out if was he happy they had caught her or remorseful. No, all she could focus on was seeing Bucky running away from them. Catherine and the others were shoved into a van with armed agents. She had no idea where they were going to take them. She assumed SHIELD.

"You knew him? The winter soldier? I heard you say Bucky." Catherine asked Steve who was clearly shaken up.

"It was him. He looked right at me like he didn't even know me." Steve told her.

"How's that even possible? It was like seventy years ago." Sam asked.

"Zola. Bucky's whole unit was captured in '43, Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall. They must have found him and..." Steve explained sadly.

"None of that's your fault, Steve." Natasha told him.

"Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky." Steve said.

Catherine sat there puzzled. She felt like she didn't know James at all actually. She needed to talk to Steve privately about everything. Sam and her noticed Natasha was bleeding quite a bit now.

"We need to get a doctor here. We don't put pressure on that wound she's gonna bleed out here in the truck." Sam said to one of the guards.

None of the guards said a word. She knew they didn't care. If Nat bled out in the truck and died, it would be one less person to worry about. One of the guards pulled a wand out that appeared to have a taser at the end of it. The guard moved forward towards the other one, causing he guard to pass out. Everyone looked around equally confused. What the hell just happened? The guard lifted their hands towards the helmet and removed it. Maria fucking Hill.

"Ah. That thing was squeezing my brain." Agent Hill said. "Who's this guy?"

Catherine leaned her head back against the seat and let out an exasperated sigh. "I've never been happier to see you."

"She good?" Sam asked Catherine.

"Yeah. She's with SHIELD. The actual SHIELD, not the HYDRA one. Sam, this is Agent Maria Hill. Maria, this is Sam Wilson." Catherine introduced the two of them. "Where are we going?"

"A secret facility. There's doctors there that can help Romanoff." Maria told her

Catherine couldn't help but smile. There were still good people left in SHIELD. The pain in her side was killing her but she didn't say a word as they got there. Sam helped Natasha out, while Steve, Maria and her exited the vehicle. She wrapped her arm her ribs and winced.

"You okay?" Maria asked.

"I'm fine. Just sore." She told her.

As they entered the building, she saw Dr. Wynter running towards them and Catherine smiled. Her friend was on their side too.

"GSW. She's lost at least a pint." Maria told Wynter

"Maybe two." Sam added.

"Let me take her." Wynter told them.

Maria stopped her. "She'll want to see him first."

As they walked further into the building, Catherine couldn't believe her eyes. Director Nick Fury was laying on a bed, alive.

"About damn time." Fury told them.

Wynter ushered Natasha to the medical Bay Area while the rest of them rested. Catherine sat down in a chair and chugged down a bottle of water.