Chapter Twenty Nine

The hike to the Triskelion felt infinite as they walked. At first Catherine thought Steve was joking, but his plan did make sense. If they took a car they risked getting caught on camera. So a hike through the woods was their only choice. Catherine had concurred that she was not meant for the wilderness. Bugs flying around. Tripping over random branches. Stepping into unseen holes. It was not her forte. At least in Siberia it was so damn cold you didn't have to worry about being eaten alive by insects.

It had worked though. They had managed to get into the building without being seen. Her hand was practically glued to her gun ready for any sign of danger as they snuck around the building. Maria led them to the communications room where Steve would make a broadcast and they would hopefully gain control of the helicarriers. The door swung open and some poor Tech worker was greeted with Sam, Maria and Catherine pointing a gun at him while Steve stood in the center.

"Excuse us." Steve said and the tech allowed them inside. "Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

Catherine couldn't help, but smile proudly at her friend. He had grown so much in the past year. A year ago she didn't think he would be able to do what he was doing now. "Good job Cap."

Sam also smiling at him. "Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?"

"They're initiating launch." Maria said.

"Catherine, stay here. Take down as many HYDRA agents as you can. Sam and I will handle the helicarriers." Steve said.

"I can do that." She told him.

"Think this plan will work?" Sam mumbled so Steve couldn't hear.

"I hope so. If not, I'm about to have a very large gun pointed at my head." She answered. "Be safe. Both of you."

Catherine watch the two leave before glancing at Maria. They both nodded at one another and Catherine cocked her gun before walking out of the room. She needed to get to the council room before any HYDRA agents did. The only problem was that it was on a completely different floor and area of the building.

"Eight minutes until launch." She heard Maria say into her com. Part of her wished she had been on one of the Helicarriers trying to dismantle it, but she was too slow. She was needed to protect anyone from stopping them.

She encountered her first group of HYDRA agents in the stairwell. She kept her head down, hoping she wouldn't be recognized, but she was. In an instant she was pinned against the wall by three men. She fought against their hands, trying to get her bracelets to activate. She managed to get the left one to work and shot one of the men in the leg, sending him down the staircase. An agent grabbed her by her collar and she felt his fist collide with her mouth.

The taste of blood filled her mouth and she spit in the guys face before pushing away. He flipped over the railing. The last guy was ready for her. He went to kick her and she grabbed his ankle and pulled towards her. She stepped to the side and he landed on his face with a crunch. She had to get the hell out of the stairwell. There would certainly be more agents.