Chapter 3: Assumptions

Today is the day. Today is the day the selected will be announced. I may seem cocky, in fact, I seem cocky to most people. But I must admit to myself I am afraid that my assumptions were wrong. That the research I have done over the years means nothing. 

All the girls are excited as they all rush into the living room and watch the television earnestly. I am standing up in the back of the room, watching from a distance. Even Ms. Torrean decided to find out the results with the rest of us. 

It has begun, and girls are being picked off one by one, the next more beautiful then the one before her. 

Since I did not have a last name, I wondered when I would be called. If I would be called. 

The tension in this room was so thick it was hard to breathe. Everyone in here was expecting me to fail, while everyone was expecting to hear my name at the same time.

The music dies down and my heart drops. That was it. All the proclamations I made proved themselves false-

"Cordelia," a simple name was called, my name was called. That was my name.

My picture on the screen, being shown to all of Illéa. 

"Cory!" Allison cries in delight while Callie jumps up and cheers. "You've been selected!" She cheers and runs over to me. 

I stare at the screen as my picture fades away. I am not shocked, but relieved. You would think a girl would be shocked and excited, in fact every girl that just showed up on that screen was probably going through that right now. Not me. There was nothing to be excited about, not yet anyway. I needed to actually win this competition to get excited, to celebrate myself breaking through the chains of imprisonment. 

I let out a small laugh and simply say, "I did it." 

***

The last couple of days people have been running around the foster home, measuring my waist and my height. Measuring how much I weigh and how long my hair was.

"Lady Cordelia," a man with a stiff back and sideburns says curtly and I turn my attention to him. "I am Arthur Wallen. I must talk to you alone about the rules of the palace."

Ms. Torrean waves him off with her cigarette and we go into the small kitchen. I take a seat in an old wooden chair, and I had to admit it was amusing watching Arthur stare at the chair meant for him with contemplation. He then pulls a small bottle of sanitizor out of his suit jacket before washing his hands and sitting down. 

I prepared myself to tune out most of this conversation, if not all of it. I know the rules like the back of my hand. Researching selection history always includes a change in rules, but I read them all just the same. 

Except one thing he says catches me off guard. One thing they didn't care to mention in any of the records I read.

"During your stay at the palace, you are technically property of the royal family. You are there for the princes and only the princes-"

"Hold up a moment." I interrupt him and he gives me a discreet glare. "Did you say I was property of the royal family?"

Arthur sighs with boredom. "Yes, that is what I said. Please pay attention-"

"So I am becoming a slave basically." I say and by the look on Arthur's face he does not like this comment. "Excuse me young lady, you have no right to talk about the royal family in that disrespectful matter."

I glare at him, and this one is not so discreet. "I didn't say anything about the royal family. I was talking about how we are basically becoming objects. You just summarized the definition of slavery. I am becoming property rather than being a human being." I not only researched Illéa, but I dug into the past. The deep past. The past not many care to look back at anymore. 

"Please stop with the dramatics, Lady Cordelia. I still have other matters to go over with you." 

I cross my arms and puff out a "fine." before he continues. 

"And considering you are dedicated to only the two princes, you must do as they wish. Anything they ask for, you must oblige."

"So now I'm basically a free loading prostitute. What's next? Am I going to be sacrificed in a religious ceremony?"

"That is enough Lady Cordelia." Arthur snaps, losing his professional demeanor. "You will do as the rules instruct you to do."

I could have argued with him. I could have gone on and on about how wrong this was, but I stayed silent. I was losing focus on what really mattered. I needed to stop whining and pull myself together. 

"Yes sir." I say.

*********

[Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been posting like I used to, but ya know school. I am going to try and write some chapters in advance so I can post every other day. If you want updates about when the next chapter is posted, or just some edits, follow me on instagram @maxonschreaves ]