Prologue

"Oh my, you look beautiful dear." My future mother-in-law coos touching the fabric of my dress.

"Do you really think so?" I asked nervously staring back at my reflection.

Today is the day I've been waiting for my whole life. It's finally here and it's all real, I made sure of that. I still can't believe this is happening. I Dorothea Harper am getting married to the love of my life. I never thought this would ever happen.

"Yes honey, he would hardly keep his eyes off you." She says excitedly holding my shaking hands in her warm ones.

I look into the mirror. I look like one of those Disney princesses. I kinda feel like one too.

"Oh Dora, you look wonderful." Midge smiles adjusting her dress. "Put a little more lipstick on."

"Why? I thought it was enough." I say furrowing my brows.

"So it would leave a stain on his lip when you kiss," Shelly asked. 

"That's the idea," Midge says sitting down on a chair. "And so all those hungry bitches would know he is taken when they take a glance at him at the reception."

I giggle at her statement. Midge and Shelly have been my best friends since preschool, we all grew up together. No one was able to come between us. Well, no one except Michel Dovely, and that was complicated.

"There are a lot of hot snacks in there," Mia announces as she enters the room.

 She is my maid of honor. I was going to choose between Midge or Shelly but once I met her I knew it had to be her. We hated each other, well she hated the fact I was dating her brother. She thought I was only dating him for money but later realized that it was because I loved him.

"Are you going to say that?" I let out a soft chuckle. "David's not so far from here."

"I know that and I love him but when I see a hot guy I don't hesitate to praise them." She walks up to me and pulls me in a hug. "I can't wait for you to be my sister."

"Hey Mia," Shelly calls out making Mia turn to her. "was any of the hot snacks single?"

"Why? I thought you were dating Todd." I asked coming down from the stool. 

"We broke up." She sighs looking out of the window. "He was cheating."

"Oh my God," I whisper walking to her. "When did this happen?"

"A few days ago." She shrugged. "It's been going on for a while now."

"And why didn't you tell me?" I say looking her in the eyes so she wouldn't lie to me.

"You were so excited about the wedding and I couldn't bring myself to ruin the atmosphere." She says looking down and I wrap my arms around her.

"You could have told me," Midge says joining the hug.

"Or me," Mia says joining too.

"Or even me." Grace says. "I'm older and could give you some advice."

"You were all so happy." Shelly pulls away from the group hug. "I didn't want to ruin anyone's mood."

"It doesn't matter dear," Grace says walking towards us. "Whether we are happy or not you tell us what's bothering you."

"Thanks guys." She says as a tear falls down her face.

"That's what best friends are for," I say with tears at the brim of my eyes.

I can't believe she kept this away from me. The sad truth is that I didn't notice she was going through any pain.