TWO: Not Quite Over

Audrey and Jane walked out of the dressing rooms, the two dressed in robes with their hair tied back in ponytails. The  two best friends spent the whole day together, and were now about to get their hair at a salon in Auroria. It was Audrey's favorite salons and the one that frequently visited the most, which is why she decided to come here with Jane. She had already called ahead to tell the salon what they would like done. The princess had even rented out the entire building and made sure that no one was there except for her two favorite stylists.

Adurey took a year off from school to go on a spa vacation with Flora, Fauna and Merryweather. However, she was still doing school work during vacation since her parents wanted to keep her on track. After the vacation, Adurey returned to Auradon Prep and was able to graduate with the rest of her class. She now majors in political science at the best college in Auroria, and is taking classes during the current summer semester.

"You didn't have to do all of this, you know," Jane said with a smile.

"Jane, honey, you're one of my best friends. And I'm going to spoil you for your big day," Audrey replied, taking a seat in the salon chair and leaning back. "Besides, I need this time too. It's been tough these past few years."

Jane sat down beside Audrey, the stylists beginning to wash their hair. "I mean, a lot happened that took some getting used to but I wouldn't say that it's been that bad."

"It's more than bad, it's been the worst years of my life. Let's take a trip down memory lane, shall we?"

Jane already knew where her best friend was going with this and that there would be no stopping her once she got started. "Audrey-"

"I was Ben's girlfriend on the fast track to becoming his wife and queen."

"Audrey, you're the sole heir to the kingdom of Auroria. You're going to be queen some day," The fairy pointed out.

"I'll be a queen, Jane, not the queen," The princess pointed out

"I'll be a queen, Jane, not the queen," The princess pointed out. "My life was set, okay. Everything my family ever wanted for me." Audrey then sighed dreamily as she thought of the beautiful boy that used to be her boyfriend. "Still dreamy. Until a little thing called Mal dropped in and ruined everything."

"But didn't you tell me that you weren't sure if you felt that Ben was the one for you?" Jane asked, the stylists wrapping towels around their heads as soon as they were finished washing their hair.

"I was ready to put my feelings aside to do my duty," Audrey stated firmly as avocado face masks were applied to their skin.

"To do your duty or to live up to your family's expectations?"

"You're not a royal, you wouldn't get it," The  Aurorian princess mumbled, not wanting to get into this argument with Jane again. Jane always told Audrey that her family were too harsh and unreasonable, and that she shouldn't put up with how they were treating her. But as Jane also stated earlier, Audrey was the sole heir to the throne of the kingdom of Auroria. Her duty wasn't something that she could run from unless she wanted to be the reason why her dynasty ceased to exist. So, Audrey put aside how she felt about family as they were the best ones to prepare her for her future life as queen.