LXXIV. Angelus and Lucian

Outside Arcanis Cafe, Acario Lucian waited for Angelus.

Old man and young fell into stride together, walking across the green campus and and ducking under a shady arcade. Without communicating, they turned the first corner they came to and continued into a paved courtyard. Then, still walking without looking at Lucian, Angelus put out his hand, wordlessly and expectantly.

Into his palm was placed a wristwatch of incredible engineering. He didn't have to ask to know that this was a very rare and expensive new model from the master watchmaker in Invernali. An Idolis, its clock face reflected light like the pale flare of the moon as the arms moved around it with flawless timing. Angelus put it to his ear and found total silence — it didn't tick, and the gears were so precisely interlinked that they whirred soundlessly with a motor running on starlight.

It would never run down for the rest of forever.

A rare genuine smile on his face, he immediately latched it onto his left wrist, unable to keep his eyes from the single-piece enamel face marked only with twenty-four black ticks. It would only make one revolution each day. Even Father would never have given Angelus such an expensive present.

"It's the newest model," said Lucian. "Guaranteed to keep time to the millisecond, to never run slow or fast. Forever."

"I know," Angelus. "Why do you think I asked for it? I've done what you asked; I assume my promotion is guaranteed as well?"

"The Solace girl was there? Claudia Aurelian? Are you sure she was listening?" Lucian asked, a hint of desperation in his bulbous, bespectacled eyes.

"Attentively," Angelus confirmed. "So closely that if she's half as smart as everyone says she is I bet she could figure out it wasn't me who composed that lecture. It was a bit blunt and obvious, don't you think? What's so important about Claudia Solace?"

"Her father is retiring; Exequi Solace made an official announcement this morning. Claudia Solace will replace him immediately. The timing is inopportune, and it leaves the decision-making so crucial to the company in the hands of his young daughter."

Angelus stopped walking. "And you think a little speech is going to determine where she sides?"

Lucian stopped too, and said, "It's up to you to persuade her. If I'm right, this girl will be incredibly receptive to your opinions."

That was a strange thing to say. Angelus eyed him, but decided not to question it. "So that's all you need from me?"

"That might be it. On the other hand, your loyalty hasn't been tested. If I call on you before the day is out, you're going to do whatever I ask, no questions."

"You can be very persuasive, Exequi Lucian." Angelus turned to walk on, but Lucian stayed where he was.

"Keep your evening free. The future president of Constellation may need something from you," Lucian said. He turned on his heel and walked in the opposite direction of Angelus Gloriam.

 He turned on his heel and walked in the opposite direction of Angelus Gloriam

Thank you for reading this continuation of the flashback to this morning. Let me know what you think! Any stars are always appreciated <3