[53] The Kian Thing

L O V I N G
L A K Y N

ALL THANKS TO my boyfriend, I was late for the first time in history today. I woke up naturally, but he refused to let me get up, keeping his strong arms around me, claiming that I had to go back to bed with him. I ended up caving in and going back to sleep, not because he wanted me to, but because I technically still had two hours left before I had to actually be there.

I awoke several hours later to the violent sound of my phone vibrating against the surface of Lakyn's nightstand. I answered, immediately getting Eden's prying questions, asking specifically about my whereabouts, though, for the most part, she was just worried that I was bailing again.

I got up immediately after, tossing Lakyn's uniform on the bed, then slipping into mine. I felt as though I resembled a zombie, huddling into my school skirt, rushing to do up my buttons, his sleepy blue eyes watching as I buckled my heels.

He looked starving, but not for food. In fact, he made it more than apparent that his breakfast resonated between my legs, I almost gave in for the sole reason that his morning voice was so effortlessly raspy and attractive, but attending school was far more important than what Lakyn intended on doing.

We arrived at school, awkwardly having to wait as the guards pried open the gates—seeing as the minute that the bell goes, the gates shut—then, we were sent directly to the office. Principle Vanderbilt let us off with ease, saying that he will let it slip this once, but stating it cannot happen again. I knew that Lakyn would have gotten in more trouble if I were not there to accompany him.

Lakyn went on to his English class, meanwhile, I continued on to home economics with Miss Kloss. I rushed in, ignoring the deceitful glare that I was receiving from the middle-aged woman with auburn hair and an interesting taste in clothing.

I went to sit in my usual seat, but of course, another class member took my spot, despite knowing that it practically belonged to me. After sending her a harsh glare, I sat at the only free seat. The seating arrangements in this class consisted of several tables which were wide, but only seat two.

"Miss Steele," the teacher spoke up in her brittle voice. "could you please fill Miss Hayes in on what the class is doing this lesson, seeing as she suddenly lacks punctuality."

She is incredibly lucky that I value my education.

I turned to my table partner, surprised to see Sabine Steele, the girl whom I met in the office last week after my argument with Blaire, happy to see that I did not have to do my work next to one of the many students in the class whom smell as though they had not showered in weeks, and Juliette Maxwell, god, do not even get me started with her. 

She lost her reputation the moment that she got caught eating someone else's gum which had been previously stuck to the bottom of the table in the cafeteria. Rumor has it, she still does it to this day.

Sabine nodded before turning to me, a pretty smile on her glossy lips. "Miss Kloss has instructed us to—and I quote—capture the essence of the latest fashion trends in one item of clothing." she explained, putting on a terrible American accent when quoting our teacher. "So, better get designing." she feigned a cheery voice.

Despite her faux American accent being awful, I admired how easily she could switch from her distinct British accent to another.

I snorted, opening my sketchbook as I titled the millionth page. "She knows absolutely nothing about the latest trends, I mean look at her." I spoke in disgust, offering the woman a brief glance.

Sabine snorted also. "Right?" she said in a hushed tone. "Floral and tiger print. It's a big no from me."

I laughed along, looking awake quickly when Miss Kloss sent us a pointed look. "So, whereabouts in the UK are you from?" I made conversation as I scribbled down a few dot points describing recent fashion trends, so that I could figure out a sly way to incorporate them together.