Chapter 11. Ice Skating

New chapter! Hope you've all been enjoying the book so far :)

"Would you like to place the final ornament?" Louis asked as he turned to Olivia, handing her the last ball from the box of decorations.

They had spent the entire morning decorating the massive tree that was placed next to the grand marble staircase. The girl grabbed the silver ornament decorated with gold inlay, a glimpse of her reflection shining off it. Olivia made her way up the wooden ladder placed by the tree, as she stood she spotted a rather empty branch, and then decided that would be the perfect spot for the final touch.

Louis cheered from below when the girl had successfully placed the ornament on the branch, it was so high up even on the ladder she had to stand on the tip of her toes. Heights terrified her, but as long as she didn't look down or think about it too hard, it would not bother her.

The tree was complete and it truly was a sight to behold.

Olivia was more than pleased with how the tree turned out. Although Louis helped, she still had to instruct him where to place the ornaments. Ornaments, ribbons and trinkets hung on every branch, and tiers of colorful lights were wrapped around, giving it a glowing effect. The tree provided a touch of warmth and life, its vibrance contrasting with the dark interior of the castle.

Grinning from ear to ear, Olivia then proceeded to climb back down the ladder. When she placed her left foot on the fourth step, it slid off from its slippery surface, causing her to lose balance. She gasped, reaching her hand out to grab onto the ladder but it was already too late and gravity was pulling her down. She closed her eyes, preparing herself as she grew closer to the surface.

To her surprise, her fall was safely prevented by something holding onto her waist. She realised it was a pair of hands wrapped around her torso, and they were now placing her back to the floor so she could now stand.

Once her feet touched the ground, she was about to thank Louis for catching her but to her surprise he was still standing where he was. Her eyes widened, while Louis on the other hand was trying his best to curb his laughter.

She now understood it wasn't Louis who caught her. Who saved her then? And whose hand was wrapped around her waist?

"Do you wish to give me a heart attack, Olivia?" Lord Nathaniel said huskily, his warm breathe pressing against the back of her neck.

his hands still lingered on her waist, and the sound of her name coming from his mouth ignited a fire in her chest.

She bit her lip not knowing what to say, it didn't help that her cheeks were glowing a bright red due to embarrassment. The Lord finally moved his hands away, they were on her for much longer then they needed to be. She glanced up at him, only to see him gazing at the tree with awe.

"It looks amazing, you've done an excellent job Olivia." He smiled showing his fangs.

The Lord was amazed, never before had the tree looked this vibrant. Perhaps the girl should help more with decorating in the castle, she really did have good taste.

Olivia blushed looking down on the floor as she fidgeted with her hands. "It's nothing really..." She muttered shyly.

"Me and Olivia are going ice skating in a nearby frozen lake this afternoon." Louis spoke casually. "Would you like to join us Nathaniel?"

Olivia chewed on her lip anxiously at his words, she was always so clumsy and awkward with Nathaniel she couldn't imagine ice skating with him. She had already embarrassed herself enough today.

"No, and I am not allowing you to take Olivia ice skating." He warned.

Both Olivia and Louis looked shocked after hearing his words.