Chapter 13: Beneath the Surface

Fear settled in my stomach as Martin put the car to a halt in front of his parents' house. In front of us was the beauty of a two-story Victorian home. It overlooked Redondo Beach, and the view was beyond spectacular. The house was secluded from the rest of the neighborhood and had its walkway to the beach.

I fixed my sweater just, and I unhooked my seatbelt. I wasn't sure why I even picked this sweater. It was so itchy. I pulled on the collar in annoyance and huffed.

I didn't say anything on the drive here, and Martin's eyes were glued to my direction. How could I even say anything without giving away any hint of nervousness?

I called Indigo more times than I could count. I asked her about tips on how to make a good impression.

Of course, she was helpful, but she took the opportunity to throw a couple of jokes my way.

My distress must have been so obvious, and Martin knew better than any attempt I had in concealing my worries.

"Are you okay?" Martin asked. He reached for my arm and gave a comforting grip.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"It's just that you've been quiet the entire trip here."

"I just haven't done this meet-the-parents bit for a while."

"They're going to love you. And there's no pressure," Martin suggested. He leaned on his seat and glanced towards the house. "They're a pretty normal bunch. A bit crazy sometimes, but they're great people. We can still back out if you're not comfortable."

"Don't be silly. We're already here, but you might need to pull me out of the car for good measure."

Martin laughed at my joke and pulled me in for a kiss. In an instant, all of the nervousness was gone. All I could ever think of was how good this was, and I wouldn't do anything to screw it up.

We both realized that the kiss lasted longer than it should when someone knocked on Martin's window that had us both jumping on our seats.

A guy who looked strikingly similar to Martin did fast hand movements. He had the same pair of gray eyes. He had hair in the shade of chestnut brown, but it was all messy but still looked presentable.

He stood there as his hands moved faster with each passing minute. I realized that he was signing when Martin answered with similar gestures.

Martin got out of the car, and I followed him. Just after sharing a hug, he introduced me to the guy who just interrupted a memorable kiss. He had a smile on his face, and for a moment, the idea of meeting Martin's family wasn't scary at all.

"This is Aki, my boyfriend," Martin said. His hands moved as he talked. My heart somersaulted at the brief but very specific introduction. He never called me his boyfriend before. We haven't talked about labels and that sort of thing. Not that I would ever complain about anything he did. "And this is Travis, my older brother who has been a pain in the ass since forever."

I didn't know how to respond, so I reached out for a cordial handshake. In return, I was enveloped in a hug that he seemed to have liked giving. Travis had long, lean arms that wrapped around my shoulders so effortlessly.

He pulled back and signed. I stared blankly at him and then to Martin, who said, "No need for those formal handshakes, you're family." He continued signing and talking at the same time. "And I should thank you for keeping up with my brother's insanity."

I let out a nervous chuckle.

But Martin had a quick comeback when he replied, "It runs in the family." He offered me a wink and reached out to interlace our fingers together. Martin never failed to be affectionate in public, and it was a sign that he was comfortable enough to be with me. To be seen with me. It was enough to make me feel like my heart was about to burst at the seams.