Chapter Forty Two

"Gally?" Thomas' eyes were hard to read, but his voice was quiet as he questioned the boy who had seemingly come back from the dead.

Newt glanced to Frypan, but the boy was fixated on Gally, one of his closest friends from the Glade. For a moment, Thomas was frozen to the spot. 

Florence knew that none of her friends would feel the same way about it, but she was sort of glad to see Gally. It made her feel guilty; he killed Chuck of course. 

But it wasn't his fault. He was stung. WCKD had him wrapped around their finger.

And back in the Glade, he was their family. No matter who much they argued or disagreed, Gally only did what he thought was best for the Glade, and it was the same for them.

Having Gally and not Chuck was better than having no Gally and no Chuck.

And then, Thomas pounced.

He punched Gally square in the face, knocking him to the floor. Grabbing a hold of his shirt, Thomas went to punch him again, but Newt had raced to his side, his hand on the boy's arm.

Florence would've gone to help, but she knew that if anyone were to stop Thomas from going ballistic, it would be Newt.

"Stop." He warned, eyes somehow on Thomas instead of his old friend returned from the dead.

"He killed Chuck."

Florence heard a shaky sigh from beside her, and moved to squeeze Frypan's hand reassuringly. A number of guards swarmed Thomas, Newt and Gally, their guns directed on them threateningly, but Florence knew that they wouldn't be the ones to deter Thomas.

"Yeah, I know, I remember. I was there too, all right? But I also remember that he was stung and half out of his mind." He paused as Thomas continued to seethe. "Just calm down. All right?"

And after a pause, Thomas had let go of Gally and moved away. Newt moved with him, carefully watching Thomas to try and gain understanding of how he was feeling.

Gally lifted himself up onto his feet, rubbing his jaw with his fingers. "Kinda had that coming." He agreed, glancing to the rest of them now, nerves still present just slightly in his stance. "Anybody else? Fry? Newt?"

He paused again and Florence's stomach flipped as she felt his stare on her. It was a funny feeling, seeing him again after all this time. "Florence?"

And her guilty eyes glanced away to the ground, not replying. None of them did; far too in shock to say a word in that moment.

"Do you know this guy?" Jorge asked. 

No, Thomas just punches random people, she thought sarcastically.

It was then that Florence remembered both Jorge and Brenda had no idea who Gally was or what was going on. Despite that, the question was still very stupid considering what had just happened.

"He was an old friend." He replied, still staring at Gally in confusion. "H-how?" Newt stammered as he continued, finally asking what they all wanted to do since seeing him. "How is this possible? We watched you die."

"No, you left me to die." He corrected, his eyes suddenly growing cold, and Florence felt the guilt return for another reason.

In her defence - not that she could use one in that moment particularly - they didn't know he wasn't dead.

"And if we hadn't found you when we did, you'd be dead right now. What the hell are you doing here?"

"Minho." Florence spoke up, gaining Gally's focus again. This time she didn't look away, feeling the need to fidget under his stare but refraining. "WCKD has him here. We're looking for a way in, to get to him."