Chapter 30: Baby Boy

-Colby's POV-

I pace around in the waiting room. Nobody's speaking, instead we all just wait for the news. I'm trying my hardest to hold it together. Everyone else, Maddie, Sam and Amara's family are all noticeably upset.

I sit down and twist the ring on my finger, bouncing my leg to hopefully relieve some of the tension. I keep watching women and families go by, happily excited for their new addition. I'm jealous. What if they don't make it? How am I going to live with that?

The waiting room door opens. All of our heads pop up to the doctor and one of her nurses.

"Is she okay?" I ask as I stand up.

She sighs and motions me to sit. That can't be good.

"Amara and the baby are both okay," I hear her mom sigh in relief. "However, she did hemorrhage during the surgery. She lost a lot of blood and will be weak for the next couple of days. Other than that, the c section went smoothly and they will both be able to go home in a couple days if everything checks out." She smiles at us.

I put my head back in relief, thank god. I could almost cry from the happiness.

"We have them both in recovery and if you'd like, you can come back to the NICU and see your son." She tells me, smiling wide.

I smile and nod my head. "Me next." Maddie says. We all laugh. I follow the doctor down the hall, already feeling excited.

We stop in front of the large window that shows all the newborn babies.

"You can come in if you'd like." The nurse tells me. I nod and again follow them into the room.

My eyes land on a baby, who has dark hair sticking out of the blue hat. I smile, knowing that's him. She takes me over to the cradle, pulling the small blanket from him. His face scrunches in discomfort. I can't shake the smile off my lips as I watch him wiggle.

"Hey baby boy," the nurse says smiling at him. She picks him up, then looks to me. "You ready, dad?" She laughs. I smile and nod, reaching out for him. She places him in my arms. I can feel his body move in the swaddle. He opens his eyes, staring up at me blankly.

His beautiful blue eyes stare up at me, blinking slowly as they adjust to the light.

"He's so beautiful." I smile.

I can feel the nurses eyes on me as I watch him closely. "When your girlfriend wakes up we'll be able to take him in there. Would you like us to come get you then?" She asks.

I don't bother correcting her words, I just nod my head, keeping my eyes on my son.

It's crazy. Everyone tells you about the first time you see them, how it changes everything. Everyone's right. I've never felt anything this strong and passionate in my life. I've never felt this type of love and protectiveness. The baby, my baby, is the only thing I care about now. He's my purpose.

****

AN: I know, I know. Took me forever to right only 500 words. I'm so sorry guys! Work and school has been kicking my ass but I'm really trying now! I'll hopefully be able to write some in the next couple of days and get some chapter out. Trust me, I have a lot more planned for this book and I'm not going to stop here. Also thank you for 5k reads!🥰