Chapter 14: What Happens When We Talk

I helped Elizabeth clear the table and wash the dishes in the kitchen. She loaded all of them in the dishwasher while I leaned on the counter. The fluorescent light glowed above us, but it didn't lighten up the awkward dinner we just had.

If I had the chance to pull Martin and me out of that awkward situation, I would have done it in a heartbeat. I figured Martin wanted us to be here, despite his father feeling otherwise.

Martin went outside, and it was instinct for me to want to follow him, but Elizabeth put a hand on my arm to stop me. So I got stuck with kitchen duty and settled in the comforts of the kitchen. The beeping of the dishwasher came to play.

"Will this be the time that you tell me what's going on?" I said. Elizabeth shut the dishwasher with much force that it startled me. I didn't want to be left in the dark. It made me more anxious as each moment passed, like I was about to face an inevitable danger.

"We thought dad would at least be accepting of Martin's decisions, but I guess we were wrong," Elizabeth replied, without really looking at me. "That's just how our dad is. He was just looking out for him in his own protective way. But he tends to be overbearing."

I scrambled for a response, and I came up with a conclusion that made me sick to my stomach. "Does your dad have a problem with Martin being gay?"

Elizabeth turned around and gave me a look of horror.

"Oh no, it's nothing like that. We love Martin and accept who he is. We don't tolerate any kind of hate in this house."

"Then what is it then?"

"I'm not the right person to tell you this, but since you asked, I might as well give you a bit of information," Elizabeth sighed. It was obvious how much she cared for Martin. Her eyebrows furrowed while she contemplated what to say. Perhaps, calculating what was okay for her to share.

"If you're uncomfortable to share, it's okay. I'll just find the right time to ask him."

"Dad is just worried that Martin is falling into bad habits. Everything in his life kind of fell apart when he quit med school to be a firefighter. That was the first thing, among many others, including the fact that he kind of had a record of bad taste in men. Not that you are bad," Elizabeth cleared up immediately. "He's our dad. He has the right to be protective."

It didn't appear that Martin had a bad history. He was really good at hiding it. Whatever it was. I also didn't want to bring anything up with him about my past because I feared that he would look at me differently. Perhaps, we shared the same fears. It was nice to know that I had something in common with him. Even if that thing in common was our past still having a cruel deathless grip on us.

"Thank you for telling me."

"I honestly think that you're a great person, Aki. Martin wouldn't bring anyone home if he wasn't sure of your intentions. I just hope that you're invested in him just like how he is with you."

Elizabeth rested a hand on my shoulder before she exited the kitchen. I sat on one of the barstools while I contemplated the entirety of the situation. It was all vague, but I knew that it wasn't good.

My mind knew what it wanted. I wanted Martin. All of the scars from my past drew lines around me that I wouldn't dare to cross. My hesitation created so much distance between him and me. Whatever the madness of Martin's past had to offer, my heart would still love him.

Rebecca came in, and her hair was tied in a bun. A wool poncho draped over her shoulders, and right now, her features were softer. She still had the same commanding presence, but this time, warmth radiated from her within a distance.