23 - Watermelon

"Meet your nephew, James Sirius Potter."

I automatically stepped forward and accepted the little bundle out of Harry's proud embrace.

"He's adorable," I gushed, looking down at the scrunched up scrawny red faced baby in my arms.

"He really is a handsome little fella," Percy said proudly, leaning over to gently poke the end of his nose. "Must be the Weasley gene."

"Cheers, Perce," Harry scoffed, stuffing his hands in his pockets, "may I remind you just how beautiful my mother was?"

We were in St Mungo's having arrived the second we got the message. Poor Ginny had been two weeks overdue and we were all starting to think she'd never give birth.

"Never again!" She spat from where she was lying exhausted on the hospital bed. "I've already told Harry that if he ever fucking comes near me with that dick of his again then I'm going to Sectumsempra it off without a second thought!"

"Ginny! Language!" Molly cried, looking horrified. "You are a mother now!"

"You don't need to remind me," Ginny snarled, spittle flying from her lips. "I've just spent the last nine and a half fucking months being blown up like a fucking watermelon!"

Harry gave a nervous chuckle as he readjusted his glasses. "Gin, love; perhaps you ought to close your eyes and get some rest?"

"Just shut up, Harry," she bellowed, throwing a teddy bear at his head which knocked his carefully placed glasses askew, "haven't you done enough?!"

"It's the drugs," Harry whispered to us behind his hand as if he thought this simple act would prevent Ginny from hearing. "I told her not to take them."

"FUCK YOU, HARRY JAMES POTTER!"

Percy and I blinked at one another in alarm. Never had I heard Ginny sound so angry before.

"Umm..." I murmured quietly to Percy, beckoning my head towards the door, "perhaps we better-"

"No! Please stay," Harry said quickly, his eyes suddenly looking wild with panic. "I can get refreshments. Coffee, anyone? Tea? Pumpkin juice... anything?"

"It's alright Harry," Arthur said gently, "she's asleep now."

We all whirled round to look down at the hospital bed, and sure enough, Ginny's eyes were closed and she had just began issuing loud, window rattling snores.

Harry exhaled a loud sigh of relief.

"I never had drugs offered to me when I gave birth," Molly said, looking at her unconscious daughter in awe. "Back in those days all you got given was a swig of firewhisky and a piece of wood to bite down on."

"Did the wood help?" I asked, fascinated. "Does biting on it have some sort of healing power?"

"No, dearie," Molly shook her head. "It just stopped the midwife from going deaf."

"Oh," I said, not knowing quite what to say to that.

"You look a natural, sweetheart," Percy beamed down at me as I continued to cradle James in my arms. "Perhaps this time next year you'll be holding our very own little handsome Weasley."

His words hit me with such a full force of horror, that I almost dropped the baby.

The idea that Percy and I would ever try for a child, made me feel utterly nauseous. All I could hear in my head was him screaming at me to call him Fred.

To conceive a child that way... it was too horrific to contemplate.

"How wonderful!" Molly gushed, clasping her hands to her chest. "I had no idea you kids were already trying! Oh, Arthur, we must get out the bubbly when we get home; a double celebration!"