twenty eight

Marci sat on the cold damp ground of an abandoned warehouse outside of the city of Berlin. She had a damp cloth in her hand that she had been using to cool herself down. After the eventful day they had, her body temperature peaked an all time high and she felt miserable. Not only were her powers driving her nuts, but her anxiety was as well as they waited for Bucky to come back around. Sam and Steve were here too, they had found this building that they had been sheltering themselves in.

Sam was leaning against the wall, watching Bucky's unconscious figure. They had wedged his bionic arm in an industrial clamp that was left behind here. Marci couldn't bare to see him like that so that's why she sat on the other side of the wall.

Steve stood guard by the door, watching helicopters fly through the air looking for any sign of the rouge avengers.

Marci's wandering mind was called back when she heard a soft groaning coming from where Bucky was.

"Hey, you two," Sam called out, signaling that Bucky had in fact woken up. Steve was quick to get over there, Marci not so much. Her body ached all other and the throbbing in her head wouldn't seem to cease. Marci sat for a few moments longer as she listens to what the men had to say to each other.

"Steve," she heard Bucky's voice call out.

"Which Bucky am I talking too?" Steve asked, Marci sighed. Realizing that she needed to see him, she slowly, very slowly, made her way to her feet.

"Your moms name is Sarah," she heard Bucky say. "You used to wear newspapers in your shoes," he chuckled slightly. Marci stood in the doorway, using the frame as support to stand. Seeing the small smile on his face brought one to her own.

"Can't read that in a museum," Steve smiled a little too.

"Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?" Sam said in his usual no bullshit tone.

"What did I do?" Bucky asked, swallowing the lump in his throat.

"Enough," Steve said. Bucky felt his heart drop as he looked between Steve and Sam, finding that Marci wasn't with them.

"Where is she?" He asked, panic clearly laced in his voice, "Steve, Where-," Marci didn't let him finish.

"I'm right here," she said softly, as she hobbled her way over to him.

"Oh my god," he said as a deep sighed escaped his lips, "Marci, I'm so sorry," his eyes were heavy, voice quiet.

Marci walked over to him, "Steve, can we get this off?" She said, pulling at the machine that had clamped his arm.

Steve came to her aid, using his superhuman strength to create just enough room from Bucky to wiggle his arm out. He stood up from the box they had positioned him on, and just stared at her.

She gave him a small smile, "It's not your fault, Buck," she said as she walk herself right into his arms. Her arms held onto his waist tightly while his snaked around her back. They stood still in each other embrace for a few moments before they pulled away.

"I knew this would happen," Bucky said, "Everything Hydra put inside of me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words," Marci watched as Bucky's face turned into a scowl, she reached down to his flesh hand giving it a small squeeze. Bucky felt horrible, but Marci swore she felt even worse. He had warned her that this could happened. She knew it was possible but she hadn't done anything about, not that she would have been able to, but her mind wouldn't let her reason that.

"Who was he?" Steve questioned, standing with his arms crossed.

"I don't know," Bucky shrugged ever so slightly.