Chapter 6

***

Chang Ying was roused twice from her sleep. First was when Mama Zhou came in to check on her.

Checking whether there was any sign of sexual activity on her body was quite private and Mama Zhou needed her permission before she started. So Chang Ying's sleep was disturbed for the first time that evening.

Chang Ying forced herself to stay awake. She had her guard up so Feifei would gave no opportunities to play any tricks.

Since it was already dark, Mama Zhou used a small lantern to check her body while being carefully of her injury.

Chang Ying briefly noticed that Lu Chen was not around. But she failed to also note that the surroundings were very quiet. There was no sign of Big Shu's earlier ranting. Chang Ying had not been moved from the farm hut for fear of worsening her bleeding.

In fact, the only people outside the hut at this time were a few married villagewomen. Since this kind of thing happened, they waited here under the guise of showing Chang Ying some sort of concern.

But truth was, Chang Ying had just joined the village so they were not close to her yet. They were only here to wait for the juicy confirmation of the midwife, Mama Zhou. They huddled at the door of the hut, peeping inside with strained eyes and ears.

Mama Zhou finally put the lantern down and helped Chang Ying arrange her clothes.

The old midwife smiled. "You can rest easy now, my dear. That man did not touch you."

"Mama Zhou is really good. If Sister Ying feels any strangeness in her body later, I will make sure to meet you first." Feifei said happily with a smile, but her eyes could not conceal the bitter look she threw at Chang Ying's weak body.

Mama Zhou frowned with clear disapproval at Feifei. She lectured the younger girl harshly, "Mind your words, Feifei. Are you expecting the worse for your sister-in-law?"

Feifei was taken aback, she quickly rushed to add, "No way, Mama Zhou. I'm happy my sister-in-law is alright. I'm just saying this in case something comes up later. These things might take a few months to show."

Feifei subtlety implied that Chang Ying might be discovered to be pregnant later. The women outside just waiting for scraps of anything to gossip about quickly picked up her words and started to talk.

"Hmm, Feifei insists on another checkup? Does she think the new wife slept with Big Shu some other day before today?"

"Who knows if she slept with Big Shu before for a bowl of food and only got a guilty conscience because Lu Chen was coming today?"

"Feifei lives in the same house with this new wife. They definitely know if she has been playing hanky-panky."

"But Lu Chen spent the matrimonial night with her before he left the next morning. If she is pregnant then it is difficult."

"Hmm, imagine if she carries Big Shu's child to pass off as Lu Chen's."

"Impossible, one man is like a handsome immortal, the other looks like a dog ghost. The baby's father would be clear at a glance."

"Then let her just marry Big Shu instead. If the child is good-looking, she can eat. If it isn't good-looking, she can still eat." Some women chuckled maliciously.

Mama Zhou clicked her tongue with disdain. "Don't say rubbish, Feifei. What would you know about a woman's body after man and woman affairs? If you do know then you must have a lover in secret, ah. And you old women outside, what are you muttering about? Come in and say it clearly. Let me know if at your age, you still don't have any useful thing in your head."