Chapter 7

Lu Chen icily looked at the woman. This woman had been condoning and pampering her son for decades. When Big Shu harmed people, she kept quiet but when her unscrupulous son got injured, she wailed and pointed fingers righteously.

Lu Chen had little regard for a person like this. "My wife is not blind. She won't go after an ugly man."

Yao Shu's mother flew into rage and started yelling. "What can your pretty face do? Your entire family can't even afford to buy my son's rags." The woman turned to the village head, "Brother-in-law, I saw that Chang Ying walk past my stall last week. She was staring at my customer's food bowls and nearly salivating on the road."

In the crowd, there was a small flurry of Yao family supporters that took the chance to open their mouth to brown-nose.

"Can you blame her? Lu Chen is a toad that wants to eat swan meat."

"He are so poor yet he went to bring a lavish girl into his house."

"Hmph, you better return her to town and marry within your station, Lu Chen."

"Hey, what are you saying? Just because Lu Chen is poorer doesn't mean his wife is a brothel character. We are only slightly better off ourselves."

"I saw the scene at the Yao farm. It was obvious Big Shu had sinister motives. You people should go and wash your brains."

Quickly there was some disagreement in the crowd. Some supported Lu Chen while some supported the Yao side. Most people simply sewed their lips shut and watched.

Lu Chen stared down village head. The last words the man said were ringing in Lu Chen's ears like a tape recorder.

Seducing...for coins.

She said his Chang Ying was seducing other men for money!

Lu Chen could bow his head a thousand times for being too poor to fulfil his duties, but he would never, never, allow these filthy people to turn this around and call his wife a whore.

"Village Head Yao, what does your relative mean by my wife seduced Big Shu? I brought this matter to you to handle it fairly, not slander my wife."

Lu Chen decided to ignore Big Shu's mother. The woman raised a creature like Big Shu and defended his foolishness. Lu Chen had already designated Big Shu's mother as an unprincipled person. It was no use reasoning with such person, they would never see the moral side.

"I am being fair, I have to consider your wife and our Yao Shu's feelings too, ah." Village Head Yao said.

"Village head, so this is how you want to treat rapists in our village?" Lu Chen felt his fingertips tingle.

It was the same sensation he felt when Big Shu ran his mouth at the hut, disgust.

Village Head Yao continued defending his nephew without reservation. "What proof do you have to call my nephew a rapist? I heard Yao Shu said he and that girl were lovers. And he wanted to take over her responsibility from your hands." Village Head Yao waved his hand and smiled amicably.

Lu Chen's brows furrowed at the man's words. "Village head, what do you mean?"

The village head clucked his tongue a few times and his smile grew bigger. "Ah, little Chen, from small to big, haven't I been helping out your family when you need to borrow money? Our two family relationship is really good. This matter can be settled easily too. See, I will even forget that you hit my nephew..."

"Brother-in-law!" Big Shu's mother protested with unwillingness vivid in her voice.

"Shush," Village Had Yao threw a look at her then turned back to Lu Chen with a wide smile still plastered on his face. "See, the two have already committed the act..."