Chapter-5

Jon's POV

"I hope you enjoy your brownies Ma'am" I hear my Emmy as I enter into Sweet Tooth.
I've never felt this homey even in my own house. This indeed is a very cozy little place. But what makes it even better is Emmy's presence. She lights up the entire bakery by just standing there, behind the counter. Her adorable smile, melodious voice, her mere existence is something I can never get used to. There is a big patch of flour on her chin and hair.

Does she bathe in flour back in the kitchen?

Well, I am not complaining since I enjoy this messy version of hers better. I wonder how she'll look in my kitchen, wearing nothing but my shirt.
I can imagine having a nice little home with her, with little versions of her and I running around the house. We'll even get a dog, German Shepherd preferably.

"Oh hey Jon!" Emmy's voice interrupt my thoughts. I wave back at her while standing at the entrance. I should ask her out first, before thinking of starting a family with her. But what if she's already taken?

Holy fuck.

What are the chances that she's single? I never even thought about this.
"Jon are you alright?" Emmy stands right in front of me.
"Huh?"
"I asked if you're okay? I've been calling your name for the past 5 minutes. But you seem to be lost in your own world. Is everything alright?" She asks me with worried eyes.

"Oh yeah! T-Totally fine."
"Well then come on in, why are you standing at the entrance?" She pulls me in to the bakery.
"What would you like to have today Jonny?"
"The usual."
"Why don't you have something else along with your coffee today? Ohh how about some muffins? I just got them out of the oven. First batch for today!"
"Yeah sure, go ahead."
"I'll be right back with your order."

5 minutes later, Emma comes to the table I am in with my coffee and muffin.
"Here you go" She says placing them on the table.
"Thank you Emmy, hey by the way , I was wondering if uh, you'd like to go out with me for lunch?"
I caught her off guard with my question, but nevertheless she agreed.
"Oh sure! That would be great. My lunch break is at 1:00, how about we go then?"
"Sounds good. I'll see you then" I say with a huge smile on my face.

***
It's like I've been waiting forever for the clock to strike 1:00. As soon as it does I jump into my car and drive towards Sweet Tooth.

I don't see Emmy behind the counter like I usually do. A girl in her early twenties stands behind the counter instead.

"Excuse me, is Emma anywhere around?" I ask hoping I did not get stood up.
"Oh she left nearly an hour ago, sir."
"Ohh...alright. Is she, is she okay? I mean was there an emergency of some sort?"
"Uhm not an emergency exactly" she murmurs slightly embarrassed.
"What is it then?" I ask not caring if I was being presumptuous.
"I don't think it's my place to tell you what happened. Is there anything else I can do for you?"
"No it's alright. Thank you." I say softly.

What was it that made her leave in the middle of the day? Something was definitely wrong. Should I go to her house and make sure she's alright? I don't exactly know where I stand in her life. Am I her friend? Or am I just an other customer? I put two and two together and decide to go meet her. I have to make sure she's doing alright, at least for the sake of my sanity. I can't just sit there knowing that there is something bothering Emmy. Strangely, the thought that Emmy is not doing well bothers me more than it should.

I am standing in front of her apartment door. I got the floor and flat number from Caitlyn who appears to be quite close to her and trusted me enough to give her apartment details.

I ring the door bell and wait for someone to answer the door. After a minute or two, I ring the bell once again since no one answered the first time. I could hear soft footsteps behind the door and soon enough Emmy opens the door looking like she has been hit by a truck. Her eyes are red and swollen which is a clear indication that she has been crying. Her hair is in a very messy bun which probably has a lot of knots. She is wearing loose pajama pants and an oversized shirt which definitely belongs to a guy. Does it belong to her boyfriend?
Right now isn't the time to worry about that! I gotta make sure Emmy is alright.

"Jon? What are you......OH MY GOD! I'm so sorry about lunch. I completely forgot about it!" Emmy says looking like she is gonna have an other break down.
I couldn't handle this state of hers and before I even realized what I was doing, I wrapped my arms around her in a bear hug.
"Hey it's alright, it doesn't matter. I'm not mad at you. We can have lunch some other day." I whispered softly into her ear.
"Can I come in?"
"Oh yes, I'm sorry to keep you waiting, please come in" as soon as I enter, I hear a low grunt, before I could even comprehend, a soft furry body jumps onto me and barks in my face.
"Tony no! Get off of him. Bad boy Tony!" Emma scolds the dog Tony.
"I'm so sorry about that. No one really comes here, so he got a little freaked out as he wasn't expecting anyone."
"Ohh no worries! I totally get it. You've got a pretty little dog right there."
"Thank you, well, this is Tony, my baby."
"Hey Tony, aren't you good boy" I ask ruffling his fur. The dog has softened up towards me with the gesture and I have somehow managed to lower it's grunts. I shift my attention back to Emma who is looking at us with a sad smile.

"So....do you wanna talk about it?"

_______________________________

Hello my lovely readers! I hope you're all doing fine. This is my first author's note! Wohoo!Usually when I read a story I skip the author's note :P
So for all those who are reading this, I hope you're enjoying the story.
Please don't forget to click the star button and vote this chapter!