forty

☾☾☾☾

☾☾☾☾

Chapter forty✓

(wc: 4705)

A frigid breeze blew across Olivia's sleeping figure causing her to stir, her eyes instantly flying open. She could tell she wasn't in her bed, or even in her house just by the feel of the hard, cold cement flooring beneath her. The air was icy and cut through the thin shirt and sweatpants she had on.

She pushed herself up from her uncomfortable position on the hard floor, her neck aching from the discomfort. How did she get here? She went to bed in her own room and last time she checked she didn't sleep walk. Fear pumped through her veins as another round of chills raced up her spine and coated her body.

Looking around in the dark, she could tell it was a basement of some sort. All the walls seemed to be cement — it looked like an industrial place of work that hadn't been finished, or the building was just very old. The smell of dust made her lungs seize in her chest for each inhale. Her eyes shifted around the room while thoughts raced through her head: could she find an exit?

As her head hesitantly turned, a feeling of looming misfortune hung above her.

She froze in place — there was something in here with her.

From all around her, a shuffling sound bounced off the walls echoing the room. A shuffling she had heard many times, enough times to be familiarized with it to the point of her nerves becoming jolted with terror just by the sound alone.

It didn't seem like a dream or night terror to her — normally those would be drained of color, but this was very, very real. If anything, it felt as if she was awake. The cold air nipped at her nose and any exposed skin and turned her blue, she could feel that perfectly fine.

The shuffling struck up again from her left and her head snapped to the side. She could see the faint outline of a figure lurching in the shadows. Her breathing shallowed as her throat closed.

"Who's there?"

Olivia's eyes widened. She hadn't said anything, so who did? The words were hanging in the air, lingering in the room as the question went unanswered.

She knew that voice, didn't she? It was one she heard everyday, but this one sounded terrified, in pain, scarily different from the one she listened to everyday. That familiar voice rang through her ears as she listened intently to hear anything else, anything from another question to a quiet sniffle.

"Hello?" the voice asked again.

Olivia knew it was him now. In the direction his voice came from, a small light was cutting through the dark. Someone was flashing a flashlight in her direction.

"Stiles?" Olivia whispered loudly, inching toward the light to try and see the shadowed figure behind the light. She attempted to get up, but as she crawled even a foot away from her previous position, a searing pain shot through her leg causing her to scream. It shot up her leg and numbed her ankle to the point where Olivia didn't know if it was even attached to her body anymore.