Chapter Forty: Burning Sorrow

Mason hoped to God that B-64 was okay.

He and the others were dragged by Hexel and Render, who both utilized their powers to make a little safe area beneath the rock. There was not a single building left standing that they could hide in, and the nearest city was three hundred miles off.

Hexel had utilized his power to make them safe to drag across the surface, as well as safe from the radiation. It might not have damaged Axel or Marissa a lot, since they still had their upgrades, but Mason didn't.

Just a single pulse more and he would be catatonic, two more and he'd be dead. In fact, Mason was lucky enough to be somewhat aware about what was happening. But all he had on his mind was B-64.

In his nearly unconscious state, he barely noticed the countless explosions that rang out, nor the dramatic increase or decrease in temperature. He could only think about B-64.

Hexel had dragged them underneath a large enclosure of dense rock and molten steel. He cooled it down quickly, though Render had to keep applying layers of hard light to keep it that way due to the fight ringing outside.

"How do you think this is going to end?" Hexel asked, not being able to use his mind-speech due to the levels of Boson Energy outside the room they made, "I mean, whether B-64 wins or not, it'll definitely change a lot of things."

Render shifted anxiously in his seat, toying with his leg-fur, "I hope B Wins, I don't think that anything would exist anymore if he doesn't. Just scanning outside causes my sensors to get all screwed up..."

Hexel replied, "Well, if B does win, then the Council will probably be disbanded by B, or if he doesn't make it, Ion. There is no way anyone would want any B-Series captain in charge again. Not after this."

Mason turned his head at the wording, or if he doesn't make it.

"No, no that won't happen..." Mason thought. It can't happen...

Render flexed his claws in a nervous manner, causing several glitched renders of his male specimens to appear. Mason quickly looked away, well, as quickly as he could, "Sorry... But I agree. What do you think will happen after that?"

"Well, I'd guess that another council will pop up, maybe a little more diverse than it is right now. For the most part, I'd expect something big to happen to it. Don't know if the people would want that though. Not that it matters." Hexel told them, rubbing a spot on his neck raw.

Before Render could reply, a loud boom resounded in the artificial cave. White light poured into it like a wave. Mason had to close his eyes, but even then the light was far too bright.

Then another sound came, indescribable in any language. It was the sound of reality shattering, like thousands of swarming bees whizzing in a spiderweb as weapons clashed and waves exploded. There was no word to describe it.

What came next happened in a flash. Flashes of different colors appeared before their eyes: White, Black, Red, Blue came first and quickly, but it swiftly formed into others. Green, Yellow, Pink, and Violet.

Sound and Silence, Distance and Time, Space and Fullness, all these mere concepts had been given purpose in that explosion, arriving in the forms of light that resembled beings. Mason saw them, Render and Hexel saw them. There was no denying the shadows in the light.

And as soon as they appeared, thousands of them, they disappeared with the light, scattered across the universe.

The last shred of Mason's confidence left his body, his mind telling him that they were so far away from where they were fighting, and if that blast was powerful enough to cause that... Then B-64 would probably be...