3

Jersey

Professor James finally sent out the information for the upcoming group project. Jersey was busy fixing breakfast when she decided to check her school email. She narrowed her eyes when she noticed a familiar name beside hers.

Gabriel Dawson.

"What the hell—Gabriel's my partner?" Jersey questioned herself as her hands tighten around her cellphone.

"Who is Gabriel?"

She jumped hard from the unexpected question. Jersey looked up and noticed Amber leaning on the threshold of the door. In her hand was a peeled orange. She was busy pulling the fruit by its natural section—one by one.

"It's nothing important. I was just looking at my group project my professor sent me."

"You were caught up for a minute." Amber stated suspiciously before chewing the citrusy orange. She gestured over at the pan that was crackling and popping due to the eggs on the stove. "Might want to scramble your eggs."

Quickly, Jersey picked up her spoon and started to scramble the eggs. She wanted them fluffy, so she made sure to do it lightly.

"Back to this Gabriel person." Amber pressed as she neared Jersey. Her dreads were down and hanging. They were bra-length and very healthy. "Who the fuck is that?"

"Why are you being so nosy?" Jersey quipped as she turned off the stove and switched the pan over to the cold burner.

"I'm your bodyguard and driver—I have to protect you." Amber replied coolly. "Besides, Malcolm is like my brother—I don't want you playing him, shorty."

Jersey couldn't help but to curl her top lip as she eyed Amber. The woman had some nerve. It wasn't possible for her to play Malcolm at all. From what she could understand, they were just chilling right now and enjoying the moment. Malcolm never tried to make their relationship official and she didn't either. Therefore, she declared herself as single.

"Please." She scoffed while examining the little breakfast she'd managed to cook. Scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, and some fried potatoes with onions and peppers—but better known as Potatoes O'Brien. To top it off, Jersey was going to drink a tall glass of orange juice with her meal. "Malcolm is single."

"Single?" Amber reiterated as she made her way to the sink. She washed her hands with the anti-bacterial soap thoroughly, trying to get rid of the citrus smell from her hands. "You cappin', you know my son done wife'd you up. Stop trying to front."

Jersey peered over at Amber who was busy helping herself to breakfast. She didn't know the girl well, but she had Amber figured out a little. Only a little. Not too much.

Amber was born and raised in Brooklyn, of course. She was good friends with Malcolm. Both of their moms had been friends for years, which resulted in their close bond.

In the beginning, Jersey was a little curious about Amber's relationship with Malcolm. She wanted to understand the standards and limits. Jersey knew that it was a strong possibility that Malcolm could be sleeping with her.

Her mind tricked her into believing that until she laid her eyes up on Amber. Her appearance screamed—I'm gay and I'm proud and don't you forget that! Amber's boyish personality and behavior confirmed everything she needed to know. The pesky thoughts had vanished.

Malcolm and Amber weren't having sex.

Amber was a straight up lesbian.

Relief did hit her once she realized what was going on. Jersey was glad about the outcome. Amber was a cool person with a great personality. Jersey didn't have to worry about some bad attitude woman being the friend of Malcolm. It was bad enough June and Morgan didn't care for her—she didn't need Amber being that way.