ch.22

"So," I said to my friends. "What's the plan?"

Ro shrugged. "Last time I checked, it was grab and go. But I guess we can grab fight and go."

Tam looked around. "Fight....the Neverseen you mean?"

Marella and Dex nodded then they flushed deep red.

"Awww look who's blushing!" Keefe smirked and draped and arm around the blushing couple-or friends who are in a awkward relationship. He pulled them towards each other and let go. I giggled.

Marella scooted away from Dex. "Quit it, Keefe," she said glancing at Dex again. "Keep your head in the mission."

I could say the same thing to you. I thought but I stayed silent.

"But we've lost. Many times against them." Tam argued. "But," he added quickly before any of us could say anything. "I'm in."

"Me too." I said.

"Me three." Dex added.

"Ditto," Keefe's smirk was gone and he was being serious while saying "ditto". "Anything for Soph-for my friends."

Ro rolled her eyes. "We all know you're in love with Sophie. No need to hide it."

Keefe's face turned red. "I DO NOT HAVE A CRUSH ON HER!"

"Whatever you say." Linh said. "But we know the truth."

"Anyway, where is Sophie?" I asked.

Marella looked at me. "You took the words right out of my mouth."

"I got that covered." Dex said, grabbing something out of his bag he brought. He pulled out a thing. It looked like a tracker. But more complicated. "This will help me locate Sophie. The device didn't work before, but it seems to work in here." He put the tracker on the floor and clicked a button. The tracker shone with red light and lead the way.

"Do we follow it?" Linh asked, taking a step.

"Yeah," Dex said and followed it. The tracker seemed to be waiting for them. "It'll take us to her and when we get close to Sophie, it'll probably change it's light to green." He frowned. "At least that's what I programmed it to do."

"So you're saying that the chance of finding Sophie is 70%?" Tam asked carefully.

Dex shrugged and said, "Maybe.....60%."

*time jump*

"Are we there?" Keefe asked. He sounded inpatient. He kept his voice low as he quietly walked up to Dex.

Dex rolled his eyes. "We're not there," he said. "And stop whispering in my ear every 5 seconds!" He hissed.

"Hey Tam," I said, walking next to him. Linh glanced at us and raised an eyebrow. "What?" I mouthed at her. She just shrugged and kept walking. "Do you think we'll get out of this mess?"

"It depends...." he said slowly. "We have to save Sophie first, though."

I thought for a moment. "Yeah, I meant after that. When we defeat the Neverseen," I looked at him. "You do think we'll be able do defeat them, right?"

"Duh," he said as a matter of factly. "Anyway, what were you trying to tell me earlier?" He asked and his eyes were now focused on the hallways. It seemed like an endless tower and it felt like we were walking in circles. I hoped not.

I bit my lip. "Oh, um that was nothing." I blushed and looked away from him.

"You're hiding something." Tam paused walking. "What is it?"

I stopped walking too. "Seriously, it's nothing important." But it is when it's about my love life. I thought. Oh focus your head in the mission, Biana.

Tam huffed. "Fine, if that makes you uncomfortable.....I'm sorry if I pushed you to tell me."

"No, it's fine...it's just a silly thought."

"Hey guys!" Ro yelled. "Move your butts!"

I rolled my eyes and ran towards where the others were. "Fine!" I stopped beside Dex. "Are we there?"

"The signals getting closer," Dex muttered. "Sophie's behind..." he looked up from the screen. He pointed to a wooden door that was blocking our path. "The signals coming from behind this door."

"Then let's open it!" Keefe said impatiently and threw himself at the door. He frowned. He threw himself at the door again, and again. "Gosh, it won't budge."

"Let me do it." Marella pushed Keefe aside and turned the door lock. The door slowly opened, making a creepy squeaking sound. "Idiot."

"I am NOT!" Keefe screamed.

"Shut up!" Tam whisper shouted.

Keefe grumbled something to Tam and he kicked a rock which flung in the air and landed on Ro's head. Ro said some colorful words at Keefe.

"Be quiet, both of you. Stop messing around." Dex said and motioned everyone to follow him.

We all followed Dex and saw what was behind that door. The cave where we first knew about the Neverseen. The cave where Sophie and Dex were kidnapped.

I tripped as I looked around the cave, inspecting for traps. I was about to fall on my face but Tam grabbed me at the last second. I blushed. "Thanks." I hastily said and stood up.

"No problem."

Someone emerged from the shadows. Oops–wrong. Dozens of shadows.

All of the others were cloaked or masked; except for one. Sophie.

"Miss me?" She asked. She narrowed her cold brown eyes at us. She focused on Keefe who was staring at her. "It seems you brought him."

"Foster–" Keefe started, but was cut off by Sophie.

"Silence," She said. "Now that we're all here, let's begin the game, shall we?" She smiled at them. "Bring the prisoners!"

The people behind Sophie nodded and brought people. He took their masks off and those weren't just prisoners–they were the adults.