A Kiss Of Farewell

Charlotte McGill.

After few seconds of silence, I gulped, "I- washroom, I mean- I had to pee- use the washroom, I mean. I forgot which one was the guestroom. I'm so sorry for- uh sorry." I shuttered, plus his toned chest and abs aren't doing any better to me. He has to wear that shirt in his hand quickly.

His face is up there, stop staring at his chest! Don't embarrass yourself any further. Just take a deep breath, apologize to him, and quietly leave- ooh! He has six abs.

I snapped out when I heard him clearing his throat, I lift my gaze to look him staring me weirdly. A blush crept to my cheeks, he saw me staring. Why do I also embarrass myself in front of him? He quickly put on the shirt and started buttoning it up, "Well, it's okay, Ms. McGill. Everyone must be waiting for you at dinner. Why don't you join them?" He asked politely.

"Aren't you coming?" I blurt out, "I- I mean, you are the host, you should come down as well. I mean, it would be rude not to be down there as a host- Oh God, I'm going to stop talking now." I stopped ranting and whispered the last part to myself and tightly close my eyes. Stop it, Charlie! Just stop it!

"Yes, I'm coming as well." He replied calmly like I didn't say anything embarrassing or offensive. "Please join others- they must be waiting for you, I will join you all in a bit." He smiled. I smiled back weakly and quietly left the room before I could embarrass myself further.

I let out a breath and stood still at my place, right behind Marcus's closed bedroom door, for a few seconds. I'm so stupid, that's why I don't want to socialize much- I always end up embarrassing myself. But here, I'm thankful to Marcus- he didn't scold me, taunt me, make fun of me, or insult me. He spared me from further humiliation. Maybe Maria is right, he's not that bad. I smiled and walked towards the stairs when, I heard something - a child's cry, in specific. I stopped and twirl my head towards the room in the middle. Kathryn's in the room and she's crying!

Without thinking any further, I walked into the room to see Kathryn crying out loud and trying to jump off her crib. I hastily walked towards her, "No, no- a baby girl. You'll fall and hurt yourself, now we don't want that, do we?" I cooed her while embracing her in my arms. Her beautiful tearful eyes stared right into mine. Her cheeks were all wet with her tears. I tapped her back slowly while whipping off her tears. "What's the matter, little one? Are you scared?" I whispered and kissed her forehead. She whined and started babbling, causing me to chuckle. She's beautiful.

I don't know how long I stood there, talking to Kathryn. She liked my company. She was babbling. She also called for her father twice, aww not yet, just a little more time with me. I laughed and snuggle my nose in her neck, she must me ticklish because she squeals loudly and giggled. She's ticklish - just like I am.

"Dada!" She squealed and laughed. I could listen to her melodious laughter the whole day long.

"Yeah? You love your dad, huh? Your dada is very lucky to have you, baby girl." I said and kissed her button nose.

"Dada!" She giggled and started bouncing in my arms.

I laughed, "Oh! Look someone's excited!" I uttered

"Dada! Dada!" She shrieked and tried to lean over my shoulder. I hold her tightly so she wouldn't fall.

"What happened, love? Are you-" I stopped myself and heard Kath chanting 'Dada', I gulped and tightly close my eyes. Not again.

"Your dad's right behind me, isn't he?" I questioned Kathryn in a whisper. In reply, she giggled and resumed babbling. She was enjoying it, I pouted.

After a moment, I heard him sigh. I bit my lip and slowly turn around to see him standing at the door with his arms folded across his chest. There was no trace of a smile on his face, all the softness I saw in his eyes before was long gone. His eyes traveled from his daughter to me. I gulped and open my mouth to say something but, his dominating voice cut me off.